Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I can access my LAN just fine, but not the internet.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can access my LAN just fine, but not the internet.

I installed Kubuntu last night and I couldn't get any internet access from my wireless. I could access my wife's laptop just fine through SSH. I could ping the router and even get to the configuration utility in reconq. But as soon as I try to go to http://www.google.com it would not connect, this was the same for any site I tried to access. This was a vanilla install on a MacBook Pro 5,5.

Some more info:
    - I tried pinging our DNS server (ISP's DNS server) - worked fine
    - I tried pinging www.google.com (host name resolved and I got responses, it said pings were around 50-200ms, but I could count seconds between responses, about 10-12 seconds for 3 replies).
    - I tried connecting to anything past the router and it would resolve the name fine, ping just fine, but not connect.
    - I installed Ubuntu 10.10 this morning before leaving for classes and it's working like a champ.
    - I didn't try a wired connection, I was going to, but it was getting to be too late.

Anyone have any ideas? I'd like to reinstall Kubuntu this weekend, but I need my lappy working for school!

Re: I can access my LAN just fine, but not the internet.

If you're pinging google you've technically got internet access. It seems maybe no http service

When you say you're not getting a connection - what exactly do you mean - like you open a browser and get a 404 error or what?

Try opening a terminal and typing sudo apt-get update and see if that works.

Please Read Me

Comment

I wish I could give the exact error message I'm getting, but since I installed Ubuntu I can't pull it up =P. Basically I couldn't connect to anything past the router. The sudo apt-get update didn't work (failed to connect). I even tried ssh-ing to the Linux servers at school and that didn't work either. Hope this clarifies.

Comment

The odd thing is - I can't think of a single scenario in where you would be able to ping your DNS, but not google - unless your DNS was blocking you intentionally.

From a terminal, obtain and post the output of these commands:

cat /etc/resolv.conf
        ipconfig
        iwconfig
        route -n

Please Read Me

Comment

I couldn't think of a reason either... Really surprised me when it happened... When I install again this weekend I'll let you know what those commands do... Thanks =)

Comment

Working...
          X