This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brother all in one wireless printing howto

I got a Brother MFC-J615W USB and wireless printer, I installed Linux driver now I can print via USB, but I don't know how to setup wireless printing, your help is greatly appreciate.
    Do you Yahoo ? No I hiccup only :P

Re: Borhter all in one wireless printing howto

http://www.wikihow.com/Set-Up-a-Wire...ter-Connection

Let me add that your wireless router is usually set by default to lease connections beginning with the 192.169.1.100 address and up. When you plug your printer into your USB port and access it with your browser using the IP address the documentation supplies (my print server used 192.168.1.15), set it to a static 192.168.1.99 so that it will never step on an address that your wireless router dispenses. Then plug your printer into your print server (usually with a USB cable) and connect your print server to your wireless router via an ethernet cable. Your printer will be "adhoc" but you can access it via cups for setup as 192.169.1.99:9100
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I now have two wireless printers. A Brother HL-2170W and a HP Officejet Pro 8000 wireless. To set them up, first connect to them with USB or Ethernet. I used Ethernet. Then I determined the IP address of the printer by consulting the DHCP table in my router. Entering the IP in my browser brought up the printer interface. Setting up the wireless was painlees. I too, assigned fixed IP's to both of mine. One is 192.168.1.98 and the other is 192.168.1.99. I am sure your Brother probably has an interface very similar to mine, so if you run into problems post back and I will provide more detailed instructions with screen shots.

Comment

I checked into this post because I wanted to find out what a Borhter printer was...

Please Read Me

Comment

That's what brought me here too!
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Thanks for the tip will try.

Comment

Re: Brother all in one wireless printing howto

Actually I don't have a router but using cell phone tethering for internet, I connect the printer to the cell phone via wifi, I try to ping the printer from a PC (connected via tethering) and the printer responded, but it has no web interface to configure, can I just put this address into the printer setting to make it work ??

Update :

I changed the printer's node name to something else other than no. ie. myprinter, and then on Kubuntu printer setting I created a new printer pointing to that, I test print and it worked !! this may not be the correct way to do it but worked for me.

Comment

Very interesting. Glad you got it working. Your solution shows what can be done if one is willing to put some thought into the problem. My situation is different as I have several computers on my network that need to access my printers and using both ethernet and wireless to connect. Once I get the printers connected, it is then a simple matter to install the printers on each computer. No need for a dedicated print server. Before I had the network printers the older printers I was using where connected to my computer which acted as the printer server. The problem with this, of course was twofold, first, the printers had to be located near my computer, and second, if my computer was not up and running no one could print. With the wireless network printers, I can locate them anywhere and they are always available.

Comment

I still have a problem, with my setting I can only print via the router(cell phone tethering), without the phone I can't print, I still trying to print directly to the printer...

Comment

I have not done this, but it seems to me you would have to install some server software on your computer to allow your computer to issue IP addresses to connected devices.

Comment

I think you're probably right.

Comment

Too bad the printer did not reconnect to the router after power down, need to do it manually every time power up > >

Comment

Brother has a driver for your printer which requires two or three downloads, depending. First, be sure sane-utils is installed.

The page leading to the download of the brscan3 and scan-key-tool drivers is here.

32bit brscan3 deb package
                          64bit brscan3 deb package

32bit scan-key-tool deb package
                          64bit scan-key-tool deb package

Install instructions for brscan3 is here
                          Install instructions for scan-key-tool is here.

FAQ & trouble shooting guide here.

Once installed CUPS will see it and allow you to make settings, etc...

I've used these drivers several times to install other Brothers printers under Jaunty and Lucid, and they work fine. Used in conjunction with GIMP and Sane all the functions of the printer were available.

Comment

Thanks, I installed the driver already, the problem now is with the wireless printing, the printer did not remember and auto connect to the router (cell phone tethering) every time power reset, I need to do it manually every time, USB print of course no problem. I've not try the scanning yet but I am sure it will work.

Comment

Write a bash script to hold the commands you use to start the printer drivers, say, .bash_myprinter (note that the first character of the file is a "period", i.e., a hidden file). Edit it and put the hash-bang as the first line:
                              #!/bin/bash
                              then add your printer driver commands.

Save it and then add

. ~/.bash_myprinter

at the bottom of ~/.bash_rc. (Again, notice a "period" and space before ~/.bash_myprinter)

Or, you can simply add ~/.bash_myprinter in the autostart of KDE.
                              KGear --> System --> System Settings --> Startup and Shutdown

Comment

Working...
                              X