X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Network Management Settings blank

Hi -
    I just installed Kubuntu 10.10 (64 bit version ) on my 64 bit i7 quad core machine. It is not a dual boot, Kubuntu owns the machine.

I have a good network connection ( used to generate this message ), but when I view 'settings->System Settings->Network Settings->Network Connections' I have a blank dialog. I obviously have a network connection because you are able to read this. I would like to do some basic network stuff like have a fixed address, modify my gateway, modify the DNS servers used, etc. What I really want is for this dialog to work to do the above mentioned stuff.

Any help/insights would be most appreciated.

Thanks
    Bill

Re: Network Management Settings blank

if your have a wired connection you wont see any thing in their.

you can add one if you need special settings .

VINNY

you have an extra in that 7 pack .....can I get 1...........lol
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I gave up trying to use knetworkmanager and went straight to the text editor. My setup is a bit more exotic - dual NIC's using aggregation (bonding) on a fairly large home network..

It would be nice to have an intelligent networking tool for Kubuntu. IMO it's one of the largest gaps in this OS. Likely because the developer of that particular tool is totally unaware that it doesn't work.

Please Read Me

Comment

I have to agree that this was my number one gripe when I switched to KDE. Is this program being actively developed or is it considered good enough? It is a shame I either have to manually configure my network or install the gnome network manager as soon as I load KDE.
        Computers are like Old Testament gods; lots of rules and no mercy.<br />Joseph Campbell

Comment

Supposedly it's improved lately, but I'm still using Kubuntu 10.04.

I was reading a blog that reviewed KDE4 and the blogger had removed and complained about knetworkmanager and the lead developer commented and asked what about it the blogger didn't like. Clearly, the dude doesn't research his own product or he wouldn't have to ask the question. There's about 1000 posts on here either complaining about it or giving advice to remove it and this is the 2nd (I think) largest distro using KDE4.

IMO, rather than gnome manager I use wicd on the computers I have that require it - i.e. ones with wi-fi. My hardwired devices I just use a text editor. It's not that hard and I know it'll work, plus like I said I use bonding which no network manager I'm aware of handles.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
          X