X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Somebody accesing to my laptop

A cordial greeting:

I would like to ask you for help because I have grounds for believing that someone is accessing my laptop through the wifi router.

I share a house with several people. We connect to the Internet via a wireless router, which gives access to all devices in the home. The point is that in Konqueror (I use Kubuntu), the Network tab shows my laptop and a Nokia N900 that I have not added. I honestly believe that access to my laptop, and I wonder if you can see my personal information, files, passwords and more.

The most important thing for me is to find a log in the system that shows who has accessed my laptop and what he saw. But not how to find the log in Kubuntu (actually Linux Mint KDE Edition 9).

Thanks if you can help me.

Re: Somebody accesing to my laptop

I seriously doubt anyone has accessed your laptop unless you have been giving out your passwords. Since the Nokia 900 is a cell phone - do you have bluetooth enabled on your laptop?

Please Read Me

Comment

the n900 may be broadcasting itself, so possibly it is the other way round - you could access the phone if you had the correct password.

same for your computer. it may show on the network, but unless they have your user password, they cannot get into anything unless you have set up shared folders or printers.

Comment

There's lots of log files which can be looked at to find you computer's history. See here. However, I don't think that in your case it is necessary to get that far into it. How about this:

To see who has been in you computer last, type:
        Code:
        last
        To see a list of failed login attempts, type:
        Code:
        faillog

Comment

Ok guys thanks a lot.

The Nokia N900 is property of one of the tenants. It gets an IP from the wifi router, so it appears in the Network tab of Konqueror. The weird thing is that I didn't added this device, neither I didn't receive any message from the system to add it. I know this mobile phone works with linux, so maybe both devices connect alone.

The command last shows that I am the only user with an active session, so it is alright.

Thanks again.

Comment

Activate your firewall.

Comment

Originally posted by newkdemintuser
              The weird thing is that I didn't added this device, neither I didn't receive any message from the system to add it.
              The device is probably automatically discovered via avahi (zeroconf daemon) that allows devices on the same network to find each other and services that are available on the network. (it doesn't mean you can automatically connect to them). N900 probably has avahi as well.

Comment

Working...
              X