This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Setting up permanent static IP in Kubuntu 10.10

Hi guys, I'm struggling here setting up a static IP permanently.
    I'm using ethernet and by default it connects using DHCP to the Auto eth1 connection. So I added an entry in the network connections tool and configured it for static IP (I also checked the 'connect automatically' check box) and it connected fine to my new connection. However after I rebooted the computer it automatically connected back to the Auto eth1 connection (which I cannot edit).
    I can switch to my static connection manually by clicking on the network icon on the panel and selecting my static connection, but I want to make it to connect to my static connection automatically and not to this Auto eth1.
    Any ideas will be appreciated.

P.S. I know I can edit the /etc/network/interfaces file, but I'm asking how to do it through the default tool.

Re: Setting up permanent static IP in Kubuntu 10.10

Originally posted by terriblechild
    So I added an entry in the network connections tool and configured it for static IP (I also checked the 'connect automatically' check box)
    You should not have added a connection. Instead you should have edited the existing connection. Remove the connection you added, restart the network, then edit the connection that remains.

To restart the network issue at a command prompt in a terminal:
    Code:
    sudo service networking start

Comment

I would have edited the Auto eth1, however it doesn't appear in the list. If I don't add an entry, the list is just blank, so I cannot edit, remove or anything else this Auto eth1.

Comment

So you have a connection, but it is not showing up in Knetwork manager

It's time consider replacing Knetwork manager. I would suggest wicd or network-manager-gnome. Both work well. Before replacing knetworkmanager it is required to completely remove it from your system.

The other solution is no network manager at all. You really don't need one. It is easy to be your own network manager. Just takes editing a couple of files. See this link.

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3100052.0

Comment

I installed network-manager-gnome and I edited the Auto eth1 from there.
          The question is why it doesn't appear and cannot edit it from the KDE network manager

Comment

The KDE network manager apparently has problems. I see a lot of posts where the solution is to remove it. That says something.

Comment

Knetworkmanager works fine for some and not for others. This has been an ongoing problem far a long time and I have yet to read a good explanation of why this is. It's why I wrote the howto on managing your network without a network manager.

Comment

IMO the main reason it doesn't work is the developer responsible for it has no idea it doesn't work. On a blog review of Mint9KDE the review pointed out the knetworkmanager didn't work and the dev actually posted that he was unaware that people were having problems. Totally clueless! One single web search would reveal that, and it's on more than just two distros.

The only people I know of who don't have problems with it are those that have only a single NIC, no wireless, and are happy with DHCP.

For the record, terriblechild, wicd is a great replacement and works well with both wireless and wired connections.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                X