X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BigAl-sa
    replied
    Originally posted by BigAl-sa View Post
    I use wireless transfer via SMB with ES File Explorer on the phone (and tablet for that matter) without having to root. My desktop is set up as an SMB server. My phone has no problems connecting via USB (Android 2.1). My tablet (ICS), however, will not connect. It's something to do with the way the storage is handled under ICS . I will add some more info when I get onto my PC - working on the tablet now.
    Here is a link to the problem of file sharing between ICS and Linux via USB:
    http://shkspr.mobi/blog/index.php/20...ntu-using-mtp/

I found the method given to overcome the problem made access rather slow.

Leave a comment:

• SteveRiley
    replied
    Originally posted by snappwrench View Post
    Ok, so running lsusb got me this.
    {...snip...}
    1. Put the phone in regular mode

2. In a Konsole, run
    Code:
    udevadm monitor --property
    3. Plug the USB cable into your computer

4. A fair amount of text will scroll on your Konsole; I need to see all of it

5. Unplug the cable

6. Reboot into download mode and repeat the procedure

Leave a comment:

• snappwrench
    replied
    That sounds pretty good, I can check that out in the mean time. Been workin 12 hour shifts at a manufacturing job so i'm beat at the moment but i'll look into it over the weekend. Thank you, that's a pretty good idea.

Leave a comment:

• BigAl-sa
    replied
    I use wireless transfer via SMB with ES File Explorer on the phone (and tablet for that matter) without having to root. My desktop is set up as an SMB server. My phone has no problems connecting via USB (Android 2.1). My tablet (ICS), however, will not connect. It's something to do with the way the storage is handled under ICS. I will add some more info when I get onto my PC - working on the tablet now.
    Last edited by BigAl-sa; Aug 30, 2012, 11:58 PM.

Leave a comment:

• snappwrench
    replied
    Ok, so running lsusb got me this.
    In regular and USB mode I got this ID
    Bus 001 Device 010: ID 04e8:681c Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd Galaxy Portal/Spica Android Phone

In downloading mode I got this ID
    Bus 002 Device 008: ID 04e8:6601 Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd Z100 Mobile Phone

Leave a comment:

• SteveRiley
    replied
    Another alternative is to write custom Udev rules for your phone. But to do that, we first need to find your phone's device ID. Most likely, it will have separate IDs, one when in regular mode and one when in "download" mode. It might even have a third, depending on what your hardware does when you switch USB modes.

Please ensure Virtual Box is not running. Power up your phone normally. Plug in the USB cable and run:
    Code:
    lsusb
    What's the output?

Next, unplug the phone. Switch to mass storage mode. Plug it back in. Run the command. Did the ID change? If so, to what?

Now, reboot the phone into "download" mode. Plug in the USB cable. Run the command once more. What's the ID now?

Leave a comment:

• snappwrench
    replied
    No nothing shows up anywhere, like plugging in a dead device. But yeah the root software is windows only, I went ahead and plugged in a stand alone windows drive and got it done but I am still working on getting Kubuntu to see it. Been looking at maybe bitpim or something along those lines, not sure. Someone else suggested heimdal but seems like a lot of effort. And yes, I need to be able to connect the phone while it's in download mode, it works fine in USB mode but can't make any mods that way.

Leave a comment:

• SecretCode
    replied
    So (to be clear) you want to connect to it from the winxp vm, while the phone is in downloading mode, but it doesn't appear in winxp and kubuntu doesn't even see it?

(I assume you need to use a rooting tool that is windows only)

Does it appear in lsusb? Do you get any messages in /var/log/syslog (like "new high speed USB device ")?

Leave a comment:

• snappwrench
    replied
    If you power off the phone, then hold vol down,pwr,and camera button at the same time it puts the phone in downloading mode so it can communicate via comm. I have to do this in order to root the phone since I am on the FF19 version and cannot use the one click root that's floating around out there. My Vbox is set to not capture USB until I set it manually. The phone shows up in the little USB icon list, I just can't connect to it for whatever reason.

Leave a comment:

• SecretCode
    replied
    How have you configured USB filters in vbox? If you set a USB device to be captured by a vm, vbox will grab the device as soon as that vm starts even if it's already mounted by the host OS. This can cause data loss. You should uncheck the device in the vbox settings if you don't want the vm to grab it.

Not sure what you mean by "downloading mode"?

Leave a comment:

• snappwrench
    replied
    Yeah I followed all the right directions and figured out that enabling USB debugging and setting mass storage to always ask when connected seemed to do the trick but now i'm trying to connect it while it's in downloading mode so I can root it. Plus the connection gets cut off everytime the screen locks on the phone, appears I have to set it to stay on every time I connect the phone but whatever it works USB at least. I have winXP installed through Vbox and it sees the phone in downloading mode but I can't get linux to see it first so winXP can't access it.

Leave a comment:

• woodsmoke
    replied
    With quirky quiddich, I plugged the phone into the computer, it took maybe thirty seconds, and the "connect to mass storage" window popped on the phone and I tapped yes on the screen. It then fiddled for a few seconds and the other screen to shut it off appeared.

The phone appeared in the file system of Dolphin within a few seconds of tapping yes on the phone, I didn't have to do anything in the OS itself to get at the phone.

Samsung Galaxy S.

woodsmoke

Leave a comment:

• SecretCode
    replied
    Ok so it works, it's just really slow so i just didn't give it enough time i guess so good enough for now. Thanks again for the responses.
    So it was a fluke, been looking into bitpim but not sure if there is another program to allow communication between my SPH-M820 phone and my cpu. I just need to be able to mount it, I can browse it through my windows OS on Vbox from there. HELP PLEASE!
    I'm confused. I thought it was working?

With my (HTC) phone I need to wait a while after selecting "disk drive" on the phone before it shows up on the computer - sometimes minutes.

Leave a comment:

• Snowhog
    replied
    Hi all, just a new galaxy prevail phone and i'm trying to transfer files to and from my cpu but kubuntu doesn't recognize my phone even when i switch the phone to usb mass storage. Wondering if i need software for this? Haven't really been able to find any answers on this. I can take the sd card out and use an adapter but it would be better to go straight through the phone. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    And you have followed these steps?

Leave a comment:

• snappwrench
    replied
    So it was a fluke, been looking into bitpim but not sure if there is another program to allow communication between my SPH-M820 phone and my cpu. I just need to be able to mount it, I can browse it through my windows OS on Vbox from there. HELP PLEASE!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X