This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Galaxy Prevail Android phone

Hi all, just a new galaxy prevail phone and i'm trying to transfer files to and from my cpu but kubuntu doesn't recognize my phone even when i switch the phone to usb mass storage. Wondering if i need software for this? Haven't really been able to find any answers on this. I can take the sd card out and use an adapter but it would be better to go straight through the phone. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    AMD PhenomII X2 550 CPU - Asus M4A88TD-Evo - Nvidia GT640 - 4G 1333 ram - Kubuntu 13.04 - KDE 4.10.5 amd64

So no notifications come up in the device notifier when you switch USB Storage on?

You're on Kubuntu 10.10? an upgrade to 12.04 might be a good idea.

Alternatively you could install Airdroid on the phone - it has an excellent interface for transfering files and many other things.

Comment

Hi
      I know that this probably sounds kind of stupid, but several situations have occurred to me while tethering with and Android Galaxy S, one year old approx.

a) For some odd reason after several updates the phone was not recognized until I restarted the computer after the updates. This has not happened with all updates, but it did happen several times.

b) The physical hooking up to the computer sometimes is odd. Sometimes, if I have left the usb cable connected and just disconnected the phone, after shutting down mass storage, etc. the phone is not seen. So, I have made it a practice to shut down the mass storage, wait a few seconds, I guess for Kubu to collect it's thoughts, and then remove the phone and the cable at the same time.
      Then the next time that I want to tether, I have the cable in the phone and then insert the usb end into the computer.

Like I said, these are oddball observations. but then, I'm just a hardware kinda guy.

woodsmoke
      sigpic
      Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Thanks for input, maybe i'll look into the airdroid thing. Don't really want to switch to 12.04 as it gives me some hardware issues. Not sure what it is but like i mentioned above, i can pull the SD card out and plug it into my cpu that way and it works great so i don't know. Just gonna have to keep tinkering as always.
        AMD PhenomII X2 550 CPU - Asus M4A88TD-Evo - Nvidia GT640 - 4G 1333 ram - Kubuntu 13.04 - KDE 4.10.5 amd64

Comment

Ok so it works, it's just really slow so i just didn't give it enough time i guess so good enough for now. Thanks again for the responses.

Comment

So it was a fluke, been looking into bitpim but not sure if there is another program to allow communication between my SPH-M820 phone and my cpu. I just need to be able to mount it, I can browse it through my windows OS on Vbox from there. HELP PLEASE!

Comment

Originally posted by snappwrench View Post
              Hi all, just a new galaxy prevail phone and i'm trying to transfer files to and from my cpu but kubuntu doesn't recognize my phone even when i switch the phone to usb mass storage. Wondering if i need software for this? Haven't really been able to find any answers on this. I can take the sd card out and use an adapter but it would be better to go straight through the phone. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
              And you have followed these steps?
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Ok so it works, it's just really slow so i just didn't give it enough time i guess so good enough for now. Thanks again for the responses.
                So it was a fluke, been looking into bitpim but not sure if there is another program to allow communication between my SPH-M820 phone and my cpu. I just need to be able to mount it, I can browse it through my windows OS on Vbox from there. HELP PLEASE!
                I'm confused. I thought it was working?

With my (HTC) phone I need to wait a while after selecting "disk drive" on the phone before it shows up on the computer - sometimes minutes.
                I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

With quirky quiddich, I plugged the phone into the computer, it took maybe thirty seconds, and the "connect to mass storage" window popped on the phone and I tapped yes on the screen. It then fiddled for a few seconds and the other screen to shut it off appeared.

The phone appeared in the file system of Dolphin within a few seconds of tapping yes on the phone, I didn't have to do anything in the OS itself to get at the phone.

Samsung Galaxy S.

woodsmoke
                  sigpic
                  Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Yeah I followed all the right directions and figured out that enabling USB debugging and setting mass storage to always ask when connected seemed to do the trick but now i'm trying to connect it while it's in downloading mode so I can root it. Plus the connection gets cut off everytime the screen locks on the phone, appears I have to set it to stay on every time I connect the phone but whatever it works USB at least. I have winXP installed through Vbox and it sees the phone in downloading mode but I can't get linux to see it first so winXP can't access it.

Comment

How have you configured USB filters in vbox? If you set a USB device to be captured by a vm, vbox will grab the device as soon as that vm starts even if it's already mounted by the host OS. This can cause data loss. You should uncheck the device in the vbox settings if you don't want the vm to grab it.

Not sure what you mean by "downloading mode"?

Comment

If you power off the phone, then hold vol down,pwr,and camera button at the same time it puts the phone in downloading mode so it can communicate via comm. I have to do this in order to root the phone since I am on the FF19 version and cannot use the one click root that's floating around out there. My Vbox is set to not capture USB until I set it manually. The phone shows up in the little USB icon list, I just can't connect to it for whatever reason.

Comment

So (to be clear) you want to connect to it from the winxp vm, while the phone is in downloading mode, but it doesn't appear in winxp and kubuntu doesn't even see it?

(I assume you need to use a rooting tool that is windows only)

Does it appear in lsusb? Do you get any messages in /var/log/syslog (like "new high speed USB device ")?

Comment

No nothing shows up anywhere, like plugging in a dead device. But yeah the root software is windows only, I went ahead and plugged in a stand alone windows drive and got it done but I am still working on getting Kubuntu to see it. Been looking at maybe bitpim or something along those lines, not sure. Someone else suggested heimdal but seems like a lot of effort. And yes, I need to be able to connect the phone while it's in download mode, it works fine in USB mode but can't make any mods that way.

Comment

Another alternative is to write custom Udev rules for your phone. But to do that, we first need to find your phone's device ID. Most likely, it will have separate IDs, one when in regular mode and one when in "download" mode. It might even have a third, depending on what your hardware does when you switch USB modes.

Please ensure Virtual Box is not running. Power up your phone normally. Plug in the USB cable and run:
                              Code:
                              lsusb
                              What's the output?

Next, unplug the phone. Switch to mass storage mode. Plug it back in. Run the command. Did the ID change? If so, to what?

Now, reboot the phone into "download" mode. Plug in the USB cable. Run the command once more. What's the ID now?

Comment

Working...
                              X