This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(closed)Cannot unmount usb drive from dolphin/device manager

Hi all, been searching my butt off to find answers on this so hopefully someone can help. I recently fixed a problem concerning ntfs conf. and messed with the automount settings in device settings. Once i disabled the automount for usb devices again and returned things to normal, i now have an issue with unmounting usb drives through dolphin and device manager. I can unmount internal drives through dolphin but not external, the message i get says "org.freedesktop.hal.device.volume.NotMountedByHal : Device to unmount is not in/media/.hal-mtab so it is not mounted by Hal". The external drive automounts but i can't unmount it unless i use disk utility or terminal. Not a huge problem but one that bugs. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
    AMD PhenomII X2 550 CPU - Asus M4A88TD-Evo - Nvidia GT640 - 4G 1333 ram - Kubuntu 13.04 - KDE 4.10.5 amd64

Re: Cannot unmount usb drive from dolphin/device manager

I'm not sure if this is the same issue, but I've been seeing a bug since KDE 4.6.5 in which a USB stick will not "safely remove" from Dolphin. But, if you close dolphin (all instances), then use the USB device "notifier" on the panel, it will eject correctly.

Comment

Yeah that doesn't work on my setup, everything works fine except usb drives. The only way i can unmount then is through terminal or disk utility so i'm sure it's a setting i've missed or something or maybe an entry i need to delete. Kinda stumped with this one.
      AMD PhenomII X2 550 CPU - Asus M4A88TD-Evo - Nvidia GT640 - 4G 1333 ram - Kubuntu 13.04 - KDE 4.10.5 amd64

Comment

I've seen this when an improper dismount left a directory under /media.

Just for giggles, with nothing external mounted, look in /media and see if there's any subdirectories.

Please Read Me

Comment

I took a look and found nothing but i think i figured it out. I think nautilus has been auto mounting as i'm running plasma desktop through ubuntu 10.10 so i changed the settings and just need to restart so i'll check back and let you know what happened. Thank you for your responces, it's been helping.

Comment

Ok that wasn't it. Another program is auto mounting my external drive and i have auto mount disabled in settings so i'll keep looking.

Comment

Ok so it seems that ntfs-3g is mounting the external. The only conf file i can find is mtab, as the fstab doesn't show the device.
              /dev/sde1 /media/Tag\040Along fuseblk rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,blksize=4096,default_p ermissions 0 0

Not sure if i can add noauto to that or not, or just remove the entry.

Comment

Oh well, did a fresh install and fixed the problem but i would still like to figure this out for future reference. It's not the only time it's happened so stumped for now but a fresh install did the trick so thanks for the replies all.

Comment

Working...
                X