Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Transferring files between machines via a Wifi hub?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transferring files between machines via a Wifi hub?

Chaps,

Im in the process or moving to a new machine. The new one is the Kubuntu machine, the old one Win XP.

I have a BT home hub. The old machine connects to it via LAN, the new one via wifi.

Is there any easy way to use the wifi link to directly transfer files between the two, without going via the internet/email?

Ive a lot of data to move, and this would be by far the most convenient method if it can be done. Perhaps theres some easy ftp method between the two IP addresses possible?

Re: Transferring files between machines via a Wifi hub?

Yes, you can setup a network with samba and copy files from your Windows machine. Forum search for samba will help you do this.

What I usually do in this situation, and this is the fastest and most reliable method for me, is remove the hard drive from the old machine and mount it in the new machine. Then after you have copied all the files, reinstall it in the old machine.

Comment

Thanks, i will look up Samba

normally the hard-drive swap is the way i would do it, but at this time i have to keep both machines running (rest of family are using the old machine)

Comment

You can also use ssh on both computers. It's harder (command line-ish) to use than samba but easier to set up.

If they're both desktops, by far the easiest way is to move the hard drives into one machine, mount and copy!

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by Detonate

What I usually do in this situation, and this is the fastest and most reliable method for me, is remove the hard drive from the old machine and mount it in the new machine. Then after you have copied all the files, reinstall it in the old machine.
          Ive come to the conclusion that this will be the best way, BUT - with the old drive in the new machine it tries to boot to windows! doesnt matter whether its slave or master (its IDE - the main drive is SATA), neither does the boot order in the BIOS make any difference!

Any ideas?

Comment

You are not getting it set right in the BIOS. You must select the SATA drive as the primary hard drive, and be sure and save the settings. This is the only possible answer to this that I can think of. There are usually two settings you have to look at. One is the boot order, which should probably be OK, and the other is the selection of drives to be set as the primary drive. When you find that, move the SATA drive to the top.

Comment

Thanks, yep, found it in the end! Seems theres two places to set the boot order in this bios, and another to set the hard-drive 'priority'. All set now and running. Just need to found a sensible way to clean windows off the drive while leaving my files intact!

Im not going to mark this thread as solved however, as the old machine is now to be fitted with smaller hard-drives, the wifi card (new machine is now on the LAN) and migrated to Kubuntu as well, for my son. That shouldnt be so hard, as theres no windows on it anymore!!!

Comment

Simply copy all of your documents, pictures, music, etc over to your primary drive. Put them in the appropriate folders in your home directory. Then reformat the old drive.

Comment

For a quick and easy way to share files between machines on a home network either wired or wireless try qShare.
                  http://qt-apps.org/content/show.php/...content=116612

It very easy to setup and use. There are versions for both linux / Ubuntu and windows.

Comment

Working...
                  X