This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED]Wrong resolution in Nvidia 9500 GeForce 9500 GT

After closing some game my display resolution turned into 640x480 so I tried to modify xorg.conf to the following but I noticed that there are disappeared sides (at right & left) in my monitor and fonts appear small and ugly!!!

How can I fix this issue?
    ----xorg.conf-----
    Code:
    # nvidia-settings: X configuration file generated by nvidia-settings
    # nvidia-settings: version 260.19.06 (buildd@yellow) Mon Oct 4 15:59:51 UTC 2010

# nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
    # nvidia-xconfig: version 260.19.06 (buildmeister@builder101) Mon Sep 13 04:59:45 PDT 2010

Section "ServerLayout"
      Identifier   "Layout0"
      Screen   0 "Screen0" 0 0
      InputDevice  "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
      InputDevice  "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
      Option     "Xinerama" "0"
    EndSection

Section "Files"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# generated from default
      Identifier   "Mouse0"
      Driver     "mouse"
      Option     "Protocol" "auto"
      Option     "Device" "/dev/psaux"
      Option     "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
      Option     "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# generated from default
      Identifier   "Keyboard0"
      Driver     "kbd"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
      Identifier   "Monitor0"
    #  VendorName   "Unknown"
    #  ModelName   "CRT-0"
    #  HorizSync    28.0 - 33.0
    #  VertRefresh   43.0 - 72.0
    #  Option     "DPMS"

#  Identifier   "External DVI"
      Modeline    "1360x768_60.00"  84.75 1360 1432 1568 1776 768 771 781 798 -hsync +vsync
      Option     "PreferredMode" "1360x768_60.00"

EndSection

Section "Device"
      Identifier   "Device0"
      Driver     "nvidia"
      VendorName   "NVIDIA Corporation"
      BoardName   "GeForce 9500 GT"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"

# Removed Option "metamodes" "nvidia-auto-select @1360x768 +0+0"
    # Removed Option "metamodes" "640x480 @1360x768 +0+0"
      Identifier   "Screen0"
      Device     "Device0"
      Monitor    "Monitor0"
      DefaultDepth  24
    #  Option     "TwinView" "0"
    #  Option     "TwinViewXineramaInfoOrder" "CRT-0"
    #  Option     "metamodes" "640x480 +0+0"
      SubSection   "Display"
        Depth    24
    	Modes  "1360x768_60.00" "1024x768" "640x480"
      EndSubSection
    EndSection

PS
    I tried to change display resolution from display settings before modifying xorg.conf but I couldn't find any resolution bigger than 640x480 so I forced to change the resolution manually
    Another thing, I tried the tip mentioned above but it didn't work because I got the following error message:
    Code:
    mbnoimi@admino-mbnoimi ~ $ xrandr
    xrandr: Failed to get size of gamma for output default
    Screen 0: minimum 320 x 240, current 1360 x 768, maximum 1360 x 768
    default connected 1360x768+0+0 0mm x 0mm
      1360x768    50.0*  53.0 
      1024x768    51.0 
      640x480    52.0 
      800x600    54.0   55.0   56.0 
      680x384    57.0   58.0 
      512x384    59.0 
      400x300    60.0 
      320x240    61.0 
    mbnoimi@admino-mbnoimi ~ $ cvt 1360 768
    # 1360x768 59.80 Hz (CVT) hsync: 47.72 kHz; pclk: 84.75 MHz
    Modeline "1360x768_60.00"  84.75 1360 1432 1568 1776 768 771 781 798 -hsync +vsync
    mbnoimi@admino-mbnoimi ~ $ xrandr --newmode "1360x768_60.00"  84.75 1360 1432 1568 1776 768 771 781 798 -hsync +vsync
    xrandr: Failed to get size of gamma for output default

Re: Wrong resolution in Nvidia 9500 GeForce 9500 GT

What kind of game? Running in wine? Linux packages including games do not normally reset video resolution. Two suggestions:

1. Do NOT try to use the KDE "monitor & display" settings, in System Settings, if you are using the Nvidia driver.

2. Alt-F2 "kdesudo nvidia-settings" with no quote marks, and do the adjustment there, and then click the "Save to X Configuration" button, and then "OK" or "Save" or whatever it says to save it.

Comment

I have had this happen with some games. The best solution is to merely logout and log back in. That will restart the xserver and everything will return to normal. The game did not change your xorg configuration, it merely reset the resolution using it's own configuration file. If you can find the game's configuration file in your home folder, you can probably modify it to use the correct resolution. If it is a game from the repositories, there may be a man page for it and it may contain information on how to start the game with a certain resolution. If you find that information you can modify your menu entry to reflect that.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
        What kind of game?
        If I understand your question, I run Age of empires, strategic game
        Running in wine?
        Yes

1. Do NOT try to use the KDE "monitor & display" settings, in System Settings, if you are using the Nvidia driver.
        Sure, I know that

2. Alt-F2 "kdesudo nvidia-settings" with no quote marks, and do the adjustment there, and then click the "Save to X Configuration" button, and then "OK" or "Save" or whatever it says to save it.
        I did that before asking you, it didn't fix the issue because it gives small resolutions even don't compatible with my screen size (I've Samsung MasterSync E1920)

Comment

Originally posted by Detonate
          I have had this happen with some games. The best solution is to merely logout and log back in. That will restart the xserver and everything will return to normal. The game did not change your xorg configuration, it merely reset the resolution using it's own configuration file. If you can find the game's configuration file in your home folder
          No no, this didn't fix my issue because I did that even I created a new user but I got same problem

Comment

I wonder if wine has allowed that Windows game to have direct access to your GPU and its memory? It almost sounds like the default resolution has been reset in the 9500GT firmware. Remember that a Windows game assumes your GPU is being run by a Windows driver (which it is not). You might try removing and reinstalling the Nvidia driver, after powering down the computer and pulling the plug first.

Comment

Logging out and back in works if you're system is set to restart X on log out. Try restarting KDM instead:

sudo service kdm restart

You might consider using a better xorg.conf file that utilizes all the options available for that nice nvidia card you've got and removing the resolutions you don't want.

Also, setting the game to run at your screen resolution or windowed will solve the issue as well. winecfg can do that for you.

xrandr: Failed to get size of gamma for output default is usually related to having more than one active video output. Your xrandr command didn't work because it's not correct. If you want to issue a display command for a mode that's not detected by xrandr you have to use the framebuffer mode or use newmode, addmode, then display it. The newmode command you attempted wasn't correctly formatted and doesn't do the job all by itself.

I doubt the driver got corrupted by a wine game. However, it's clear you need to work on your video setup and get it behaving correctly before you try and solve random issues caused by running wine.

Please Read Me

Comment

After reading tons of posts about nvidia display card issues I gave up and decided to remove xorg.conf file or reinstall kubuntu if it didn't fix the issue.... but the result was surprised me because removing xorg.conf and creating a new one solved the issue.

Thanks for you all and I'm file a bug report about wine issue as soon as possible.

Comment

Working...
                X