X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

<RESOLVED> audio nightmares, continued

Where to start...?

Upgraded days ago. No application sound. Have at least SOME system sounds. Have installed to two desktops (Dell, HP), and an HP netbook.

Amarok doesn't work, but then it usually doesn't. No sound from anything coming from any browser. Have installed and played with pavucontrol, system settings, and the KMix sys-tray thingie. No fix in sight. Have read through a number of recent emails related to sound problems...no ideas that worked for me.

I simply don't have time to become a Linux audio geek. I actually expect this thing to work or to tell me why it cannot. Silly me, I know.

Still cannot recommend Kubuntu to friends, as long as this stuff keeps happening. Sad. Mere mortals have no chance of getting this thing to just work. I find this all rather troubling, as I love Linux, in general.

So, what can I do? Do I have any realistic alternative to simply waiting and hoping that some bug fix will get it right, given that a long journey through Linux/hardware hell is simply not on my time budget?

Any tutorials or troubleshooting decision trees of relevance out there? (I'd look for them, but I'm not at all sure what to look for...)

Re: audio nightmares, continued

Look for posts regarding removing PulseAudio and reverting to alsa (worked great for me).

Please Read Me

Comment

Code:
      sudo apt-get update
      Code:
      sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
      Code:
      sudo apt-get install paman padevchooser pavucontrol
      Code:
      pavucontrol
      Check the "output devices", discover "analog speakers" muted, and remove the mute.

Comment

Thanks, folks. A couple of interesting, and interestingly divergent, proposals. Cool.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
          Code:
          sudo apt-get update
          Code:
          sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
          Code:
          sudo apt-get install paman padevchooser pavucontrol
          Code:
          pavucontrol
          Check the "output devices", discover "analog speakers" muted, and remove the mute.
          Sigh. I wish this worked for me. It doesn't. Nothing is muted. And...there's no sound, with either speakers or headphones. This is the case on all 3 of my computers (HP workstation, Dell Inspiron desktop, HP Netbook).

I'm now checking into reverting to alsa, per the other suggestion offered to me. I'm browsing search results (Kubuntu forums) on this, but most are incomprehensibly technical. That sort of stuff is just not helpful to an amateur such and me. I just want working sound, not an education in Linux multimedia management. Just don't have the time...

UPDATE - giving up on making any sense of the other threads on this topic, most of which were overly specific or referred to bug reports of which I could make nosense, I simply did the following, which seemed reasonable:

Uninstalled pulseaudio, pavucontrol, paman
          Installed alsamixergui

Result: after a reboot, I still have no sound, at least on the one computer I've tried this (HP xw4200 workstation). My only option at this point, other than a reversion to the current LTS version of Kubuntu, is to use WinXP, when I really have to have sound. Given that this problem I'm having is happening on 3 rather different computers (see previous post), I have trouble believing that it's due to some quirk of my interaction of with Kubuntu 10.10. But, who knows? I sure don't.

Any ideas re: how to resolve this will be gratefully considered!

Comment

Do you have sound from the livecd?

Please Read Me

Comment

&lt;RESOLVED&gt; Re: audio nightmares, continued

GREAT question. Will check, on the 2 of my 3 computers to which I have immediate access...

UPDATE: I now find, inexplicably, that audio works on both my HP netbook and the one of my two desktops I've been able to test. I have no idea why, and must conclude that one of the recent flurry of updates resolved the issue, whatever it may have been. Hooray!

Now I can get on with trying to make sense of Amarok, which has wasted more of my time than I want to say. What it clearly will not do is just play a CD I put into my optical reader. Dolphin sees the CD just fine. So does Amarok's file browser. But it won't put any track into its play list, so nothing is playable. Grist for another thread...

Comment

Re: &lt;RESOLVED&gt; audio nightmares, continued

Where to start...?

Upgraded days ago. No application sound.
                I saw this and suspected a configuration incompatibly. Booting from the liveCD always gives you a "clean" look at things. The old config files or modules or something buried deep in the system is hanging around and blocking your audio.

Possibly, if you purged all your audio drivers and such and re-installed you might get back in business.

More likely - a fresh install will solve the issue with less effort.

Please Read Me

Comment

Re: &lt;RESOLVED&gt; Re: audio nightmares, continued

Originally posted by tomcloyd
                  Now I can get on with trying to make sense of Amarok, which has wasted more of my time than I want to say. What it clearly will not do is just play a CD I put into my optical reader. Dolphin sees the CD just fine. So does Amarok's file browser. But it won't put any track into its play list, so nothing is playable. Grist for another thread...
                  Believe it or not, Amarok was never designed to support audio CD's, that according to one of the Moderators over on KDE Community Forums. It is certainly true, that with the glorious Amarok 2.x series, audio CD functionality is marginal at best. The prior, 1.4 series worked, and many lament all that was lost from 1.4 in the 2.x series.

Don't hold your breath on ever seeing Amarok regain audo CD functionality. If audio CD's are what you have, and you want to listen to them while on your PC, install another application. I am now using Qmmp. It works. So does VLC.
                  Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                  "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr
                    Where to start...?

Upgraded days ago. No application sound.
                    I saw this and suspected a configuration incompatibly. Booting from the liveCD always gives you a "clean" look at things. The old config files or modules or something buried deep in the system is hanging around and blocking your audio.

Possibly, if you purged all your audio drivers and such and re-installed you might get back in business.

More likely - a fresh install will solve the issue with less effort.
                    I would have thought so, but...the desktop that now works WAS a fresh install. The other one is a desktop I've recently taken over. Sound used to work on it, but does not now even on Windows. Am still troubleshooting this. Suspect all will be well if I can resolve what appears to be a hardware problem. Thanks for your thoughts.

Comment

You first have to start Amarok then insert audio cd and it will appear under local collection then you can play the tracks.

Comment

Working...
                      X