This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

64 bit

I am currently running kubuntu 10.04 32 bit. I would like to get to 64 bit without messing up my setup. My home directory is on a separate filesystem. Does anyone know what would happen if I install 10.04 64 bit, leaving the home directory untouched?

Monon

Never tried it, but I can't imagine why it wouldn't work. Do you have enough space to do the 64 bit install to a separate partition? That way if something breaks, you still have the 32 bit install to fall back on.

Please Read Me

Comment

Your $HOME is just data and configuration and as such are arch agnostic; as it is on its own partition, you won't break or lose anything by reinstalling using 64bit on your root partition, and keeping your current /home. Oshunluvr's suggestion is a wise one to take if you are unsure.

Comment

you should be ok to install a new system , if you keep the same home folder, you will lose only system wide settings.
        Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
        (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Is your /home directory on a different partition? If so, that should be no problem, but I would format the partition you are installing the x64 to. Make sure you select the right partition during the install (use as /homre, do not format).

Comment

Working...
          X