This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it safe to install codecs?

I may have gotten too paranoid from using windoze. I distrust anything that asks if I want to install software if I didn't initiate the request.

The last few times I started Kubuntu 10.04 a window popped up asking if I want to install codecs. The next dialog box asks for a password, and lists the command "install package --install libavcodec - unstripped - 52 libk3b6 - extracodecs" (I forget whether there were spaces at the hyphens).

I recently tried to play some tunes I downloaded, and they wouldn't play. Might Amarok have sensed that it was missing a necessary codec, then made this offer to install them the next time I started Kubuntu?

Originally posted by Paul Sweet View Post
    I may have gotten too paranoid from using windoze. I distrust anything that asks if I want to install software if I didn't initiate the request.

The last few times I started Kubuntu 10.04 a window popped up asking if I want to install codecs. The next dialog box asks for a password, and lists the command "install package --install libavcodec - unstripped - 52 libk3b6 - extracodecs" (I forget whether there were spaces at the hyphens).

I recently tried to play some tunes I downloaded, and they wouldn't play. Might Amarok have sensed that it was missing a necessary codec, then made this offer to install them the next time I started Kubuntu?
    yes it is just trying to give you the codecs that will let you play proprietary formats like mp3.
    yousing your package manager (or comand line) to install the "kubuntu-restricted-extras" package will pull in most of these for you as well.

Code:
    sudo apt get install kubuntu-restricted-extras
    should do it .

+ for DVD playback you would need libdvdcss2 as well

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

You only have to install codecs if you want to use multimedia features like audio and video playback. I'm unclear on your use of "safe" because you have no other choice if you want multimedia features. The pop-up notification feature is a fairly new one and was intended to help those unaware of the codec requirements. Generally, most codecs have some sort of licensing requirements that prohibit the default distribution of them along with the original install ISO. If you want all the codecs, install kubuntu-restricted-extras, w32codecs (or w64codecs for 64 bit installs), and libdvdcss2 and that will cover most things. Browser plug-ins would be needed too.

Unlike Winblows, Kubuntu will only offer to install software from the repositories you have enabled. The safety factor is in your control by enabling or not-enabling any particular software repository.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
        yes it is just trying to give you the codecs that will let you play proprietary formats like mp3.
        yousing your package manager (or comand line) to install the "kubuntu-restricted-extras" package will pull in most of these for you as well.

Code:
        sudo apt get install kubuntu-restricted-extras
        should do it .

+ for DVD playback you would need libdvdcss2 as well

VINNY
        And:
        kubuntu-restricted-addons
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Thanks for reassuring me. Windoze has just made me too paranoid.

BTW, how do I edit the title to say Solved?

Comment

In your (top?) post you will see a pencil icon with the words "Edit Post". You will be able to edit the heading. Add [Solved].
            "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
            "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Originally posted by arochester View Post
              In your (top?) post you will see a pencil icon with the words "Edit Post". You will be able to edit the heading. Add [Solved].
              Yes, but the forum way is to click on Thread Tools at the top of the page and select 'Mark this thread as solved...' which will add the tag to the subject that all see from outside of the thread.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
              X