Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

> And which version of Chromium were you using that broke?

16.0.912.77 (Developer Build 118311 Linux) Ubuntu 10.04

The one that came automatically by doing "aptitude install chromium".

Comment

kubuntu 10.04 (amd64)
      kde 4.4.5
      repository: http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu lucid partner
      repository: http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu lucid partner (Source Code)

I also can't use chromium 16.0.912.77 (Developer Build 118311 Linux) Ubuntu 10.04
      Always get Pages Unresponsive error.

But fortunately, FireFox works great - no trouble. So lack of memory should not be the problem, nor is internet connection the problem.

I also uninstalled Chromium then turned off PC for a complete turn-on/reboot; then reinstalled Chromium using kpackagekit. It installed two packages: Chromium 16.0.912 and chromium-codec-ffmpeg

I can add that the problem started after I did some cleanup by using...
      command "sudo apt-get purge firefox" (yes, I mean firefox b/c I was noticed that I had several older versions of firefox and wanted all old versions deleted)
      Then "apt" displayed a message notifying me that there were several unused packages that could be removed using "autoremove"
      So I used the command "sudo apt-get autoremove"

It is at this point, chromium died. I didn't pay any attention to which packages were removed, so I don't know their names.

And now a fresh/clean install of chromium doesn't fix the problem.

Any suggestions?
      Last edited by nhtrader; Feb 20, 2012, 10:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by nhtrader View Post
        And now a fresh/clean install of chromium doesn't fix the problem.

Any suggestions?
        Purge chromium again. Then, in a console, remove the chromium configuration directory/files and the chromium cache directory/files with:
        Code:
        rm -R ~/.cache/chromium
        rm -R ~/.config/chromium
        Then reinstall chromium:
        Code:
        sudo apt-get update
        sudo apt-get install chromium-browser
        Last edited by Snowhog; Feb 20, 2012, 06:57 PM. Reason: Corrected package name
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

chromium worked for months, but then it suddenly stopped working for yahoo.com and its own preferences page.
          Yahoo mail is notorious for sporadic outages. They adopt a "ssshhh" policy believing nobody will notice.

Some people did notice...

http://www.zdnet.com.au/yahoo-mail-s...-339331238.htm
          Kubuntu 12.04 - Acer Aspire 5750G

"I don't make a great deal of money, but I'm ok with that 'cause I don't hurt a lot of people in the process either"

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
            Purge chromium again. Then, in a console, remove the chromium configuration directory/files and the chromium cache directory/files with:
            Code:
            rm -R ~/.cache/chromium
            rm -R ~/.config/chromium
            Then reinstall chromium:
            Code:
            sudo apt-get update
            sudo apt-get install chromium

Did as you prescribed - no joy. Still getting error Pages Unresponsive. Deleting both the user profiles and the cache didn't help.

In addition, for others that tread behind. Don't use command "sudo apt-get install chromium" b/c you'll install a game.

You need to use the command: "sudo apt-get chromium-browser"

Comment

Originally posted by nhtrader View Post
              In addition, for others that tread behind. Don't use command "sudo apt-get install chromium" b/c you'll install a game.

You need to use the command: "sudo apt-get chromium-browser"
              Ooops! Thank you. I've corrected my post.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
              X