This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

chromium broken (almost entirely)

chromium worked for months, but then it suddenly stopped working for yahoo.com and its own preferences page. Here is a screen shot:

http://www.advanced-app.com.hk/MiscJ...ium_broken.png

I uninstalled then reinstalled chromium, and this time, it crashed while trying to show the preferences page.

I posted a help request on the google help forum, but the ony suggestion was do download the linux version of chrome (different than chromium) and use that instead.

I am on kubuntu 10.04, AMD 64 version. I have plenty of memory and hard drive space. Everything that was working before chromium died is still working.

Any ideas? Thanks,

Re: chromium broken (almost entirely)

I wrote that chromium is broken "almost entirely" because it can display www.flickr.com.

Comment

Originally posted by likes2skate
      I wrote that chromium is broken "almost entirely" because it can display www.flickr.com.
      Yeah. -- and I write ..

T - R - O - L - L

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
        Yeah. -- and I write ..

T - R - O - L - L
        Hi....

I don't understand what you mean here.

Regards
        Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all! http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/
        How do I know this personally? Please read here: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...hn-8-12-36442/
        PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST! You don't have to end up here: https://soulchoiceministries.org/pod...i-see-in-hell/

Comment

He means this post is designed to get "hits" on the OP's flikr page...

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr
            Then our troll needs some basic instructions, for the link points only to Flickr's home page, not someone's photo collection.

I suggest he come take lessons from our very own bridge-dwelling troll right here in Seattle:

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr
              Oh, ok, thank you.

Regards...
              Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all! http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/
              How do I know this personally? Please read here: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...hn-8-12-36442/
              PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST! You don't have to end up here: https://soulchoiceministries.org/pod...i-see-in-hell/

Comment

Sorry guys, but I'm pretty horrified by this thread. I just don't see where the OP did anything wrong.

It looks to me like he came here, asking for help, and has been labelled as a troll simply for posting a link to the flickr.com home page... I don't see how that is justified, unless I'm missing something.
                sigpic
                "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
                -- Douglas Adams

Comment

I was the OP, and I did mention www.flickr.com. This is because I normally use chromium for google mail & docs, yahoo and flickr. My main email address is on yahoo, and I mostly have my kid's photos on flickr, mostly for the kid's grandparents. Since chromium broke, it hangs on google mail & docs and yahoo but not flickr. More telling, chromium hangs on its own preferences page -- as my screen shot shows.

I did not post my flickr photo link, but if someone is really interested, I could send it privately.

I use konq for some stuff and firefox for some stuff. I use konq for most everything that works in konq. As anyone who has used konq knows, not every web site works in konq.

Since the google chromium forum was of no help, I was hoping that I could get help here.

BTW, I have (more than once) uninstalled and reinstalled chromium, and deleted the chromium directory in ~/.config.

Comment

Out of curiosity - did you try the suggestion of installing Chrome and trying that?

If so, did it have the same problem?
                    sigpic
                    "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
                    -- Douglas Adams

Comment

@likes2skate, I apologize -- I completely misunderstood the intent of your original and second posts.

Did you install Chrome from a downloaded package, or did you install chromium-browser from the 10.04 repository? Using the package from the repositories, chromium-browser is working perfectly on 11.10 today, including flash and java.

Comment

Allow me to add my apologies, too. Teasing you with our bridge troll certainly didn't help.

I hope you enjoyed the photo, though! The troll is in the Fremont neighborhood, the self-proclaimed "center of the known universe." This neighborhood also has a 16-foot bronze statue of Vladimir Lenin. It's currently for sale at the bargain dictator price of $250,000.

Comment

Actually, I am from Seattle but Wallingford not Fremont. I live overseas at the moment, but I return to Seattle several times per year. Of course I know the troll and Lenin statues well.

I installed chromium from the repositories. No, I did not try downloading the linux version of chrome.

Today, chromium is working fine. At least, I am in yahoo using chromium. (I am in kubuntuforums.net using konq.)

I cannot explain why it would be not working for two weeks but suddenly working again. Maybe because my computer was turned off over the holiday weekend, and I turned it on fresh a while ago. (Do you have a better explanation?)

Thanks and sorry for the trouble.

Comment

No need for you to apologize.

You mentioned that you're now running Chromium from the repositories. Which repository would that be? There are four separate PPAs for chromium-browser.

And which version of Chromium were you using that broke?

Comment

> Out of curiosity - did you try the suggestion of installing Chrome and trying that?

I finally installed Chrome, and at least for now, it is working fine.

I downloaded it by clicking on the "Install Chrome" button on www.google.com.

The last I reported, Chromium was working, but after that, it mostly did not work. Out of desperation, I finally tried Chrome, and now I wish I had tried it sooner.

Comment

Working...
                              X