X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NVIDIA card problem : Server X doesn't work after last pakage upgrading

Good afternoon guys,

Today I have done the upgrading of the system after the normal request of "KpakageKit" but after this I had the following problem: after the boot I have the black screen.

When I use the cmd "StartX" on the terminal I have the following errors:

(EE) NVIDIA (0) Failed to get supported display devices
    (EE) NVIDIA (0) NO display devices found for this X Screen
    (EE) Screen(1) found, but none have a usable configuration.

I have installed also the driver nvidia (nvidia-common, nvidia-setting e nvidia-current) with the manual procedure , therefore I have seen that nvidia-current is "290.10", but the result is the same , "StartX" gives the above errors and the screen is black .

Please could you help me ??
    Thanks in advance
    Sandro

My mobile PC requirements :

card NVIDIA Geoforce GO 7300
    Driver nvidia-current now installed 290.10
    OS Linux LTS 10.04 , kernel 2.6.32-34-generic

Dual-booting:<br />Kubuntu: Karmic Koala (Main OS)<br />Windows:Vista Home Premium<br />--------------------------------------------------------------<br />Sony Vaio&nbsp; VGN-NR21Z - 2 Duo processor T8100<br />Graphics nvidia GeForce 8400M GT GPU

Re: NVIDIA card problem : Server X doesn't work after last pakage upgrading

type dkms status and uname -a and report the results.

Please Read Me

Comment

Good morning

the following are the results of the commands:

uname -a
      Linux boy 2.6.32-34-generic #77-Ubuntu smp Tue Sep 13 19:40:53 UTC 2011 2011 i686 GNU/Linix

dkms status
      nvidia-current, 290.10, 2.6.32-34-generic, i686: installed
      nvidia-173, 173.14.27, 2.6.32-27-generic, i686; installed
      nvidia-173, 173.14.27, 2.6.32-34-generic, i686; installed
      nvidia-173, 173.14.27, 2.6.32-30-generic, i686; installed
      nvidia-173, 173.14.27, 2.6.32-29-generic, i686; installed
      nvidia-173, 173.14.27, 2.6.32-33-generic, i686; installed
      nvidia-173, 173.14.27, 2.6.32-28-generic, i686; installed
      nvidia-173, 173.14.27, 2.6.32-31-generic, i686; installed
      nvidia-173, 173.14.27, 2.6.32-26-generic, i686; installed
      nvidia-173, 173.14.27, 2.6.32-32-generic, i686; installed

please I look forward to earing from you.
      thank you very much.
      Sandro

Dual-booting:<br />Kubuntu: Karmic Koala (Main OS)<br />Windows:Vista Home Premium<br />--------------------------------------------------------------<br />Sony Vaio&nbsp; VGN-NR21Z - 2 Duo processor T8100<br />Graphics nvidia GeForce 8400M GT GPU

Comment

Assuming you didn't uninstall the 173 series drivers, if you boot to an older kernel you should get your desktop back - but that's doesn't solve your problem.

The info I requested shows the new driver is installed and active so that's not the problem. Next thing to try is look and see if you have an xorg.conf file and if you do - rename it and restart X. Here's the commands:

ls /etc/X11/xorg.conf

If you get this response: /etc/X11/xorg.conf
        then enter these commands:
        sudo mv /etc/X11/org.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.1
        sudo service kdm restart

If you get this response: ls: cannot access /etc/X11/xorg.conf: No such file or directory
        then enter these commands:
        sudo nvidia-xconfig
        sudo service kdm restart

Which ever of these you end up doing, if you still have no graphical desktop, make a copy of the file /var/log/Xorg.0.log and attach it to your next post. You'll have to copy it and rename it .txt to attach it to a post.

Please Read Me

Comment

Good morning,

I have an xorg.conf file generated by "nvidia-xconfig" of course, so I renamed it in "xorg.conf.1" and after
          " sudo service kdm restart", I had again my desktop finally .

I see now that I don't have the "xorg.conf" , so which kind of driver am I using ?? I'm curious to know, and why does it work even without xorg.conf ??

Anyway everything now works !

Thank you very much again

Sandro

Comment

You "jumped" from the 170 series drivers to the latest 270-and-above series. That, along with the newer XFree86 xorg you are using left your old xorg.conf too far out of date. Often, some option or setting in the old xorg.conf is the culprit, as it likely was in this case.

The newer xorg and nvidia drivers do a very good job of pre-selecting a considerable amount of usable options by detection and default so a lot of what used to be required in xorg.conf is no longer needed. I still use an xorg.conf for some higher level advanced options, but they aren't required. If you looked into your old log file and compared it to the new one, you'd find most of the options selected by default.

If you want to dig further into this: post your xorg.conf.1 file and we'll have a look...

Please Read Me

Comment

Hi Guys,
              sorry for the delay. the following is my xorg.conf.1 file , I would really appreciate if you could check it

# nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
              # nvidia-xconfig: version 290.10 (buildmeister@swio-display-x86-rhel47-07.nvidia.com) Wed Nov 16 20:32:22 PST 2011

Section "ServerLayout"
              Identifier "Layout0"
              Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
              InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
              InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
              EndSection

Section "Module"
              Load "glx"
              EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
              Identifier "Mouse0"
              Driver "mouse"
              Option "Protocol" "auto"
              Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
              Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
              Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
              EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# generated from default
              Identifier "Keyboard0"
              Driver "kbd"
              EndSection

Section "Monitor"
              Identifier "Monitor0"
              VendorName "Unknown"
              ModelName "Unknown"
              HorizSync 28.0 - 33.0
              VertRefresh 43.0 - 72.0
              Option "DPMS"
              EndSection

Section "Device"
              Identifier "Device0"
              Driver "nvidia"
              VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
              EndSection

Section "Screen"
              Identifier "Screen0"
              Device "Device0"
              Monitor "Monitor0"
              DefaultDepth 24
              Option "NoLogo" "True"
              Option "NvAGP" "1" ###### added by grass 17.dec.2010 #######
              SubSection "Display"
              Depth 24
              EndSubSection
              EndSection

thanks again for your support

Sandro

Comment

Glad to help, when I can

That's a pretty generic xorg.conf. The only line of any consiquence the NvAGP option and that could cause a failure, but not usually.

The place to "see" what xorg is doing is /var/log/Xorg.0.log. Read through it and you'll see what options are enabled by defualt and what resolution it uses, etc. In a terminal:

cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log |grep Driver should show you what driver is enabled.

xdpyinfo will show you more details about you current config. For example:

xdpyinfo |grep res will show DPI resolution,

xdpyinfo |grep dim will show screen size.

also xrandr -q will show available resolutions.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                X