This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Raid Problem - Unknown File system type

I have two identical disks that were in a raid configuration in another machine (also running 10.04). I removed them from the old machine, mounted them in a new machine, booted up, and at a terminal prompt as root issued

mdadm --create /dev/md0 --level=1 --raid-devices=2 /dev/sdb /dev/sdc

The configuration in the old machine was raid 1.

I checked the contents of /proc/mdstat and it confirmed that md0 was indeed running, with 2 devices, as expected. But it also said it was resyncing the disks, which I didn't expect.

When the reync completed, I was unable to mount /dev/md0p1. Specifying -t ext3 in the mount command gives the error message "wrong fs, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/md0p1". Trying mount with no -t gives the error "unknown file type linux_raid_member". Looking at the disks with Gparted, confims that the system sees the disks, but the filesystem shows as unknown.

So - am I truly up the creek without a paddle? Is there any way to recover this array? I have backups of most of it, but it will take a while to find and restore. And for sure something will be lost.

Thanks for your time.

Re: Raid Problem - Unknown File system type

RAID1 should be recoverable by re-writting the MBR and mounting it as a single disk. However, depending on what happened during the re-create, you might be out of luck.

Generally, create is used only to make a new array and assemble is used to re-start a previously created array.

Often, I've found - assuming the array is fully intact - that all I have to do is edit my mdadm.conf file with the array info and it start's right up.

Let me know where you're at on this.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
    X