Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suitable alternative for KMail etc. (Akonadi keeps crashing!)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suitable alternative for KMail etc. (Akonadi keeps crashing!)

Hi,

I've spent some time trying to investigate why my Akonadi setup keeps crashing, tinkering with the serverrc file etc. KMail etc. is now unuseable, however, and my patience has now worn very, very thin.

Rather than keep flogging this dead horse, could someone advise whether it's a reasonably sensible course of action to remove all of the KMail/PIM software - and that Akonadi cr*p - and simply run with Mozilla Thunderbird for email etc.?

If so, could someone help me identify (within Synaptic etc.) all of the software that I can remove for this (as I don't want to miss any if I can help it).

Thanks in advance for your guidance.

Steven.

Re: Suitable alternative for KMail etc. (Akonadi keeps crashing!)

There's no reason not to just use Thunderbird if it suits you (I do) If you need or want the extra features of akonadi -> http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3112175.0

akonadi-server is required by plasma (why? I don't know...) but the rest of it should come off OK.

Please Read Me

Comment

I've used my instructions at the link that oshunluvr provided on the last three Kubuntu OS's I've used, and it works flawlessly. No problems with Akonadi; no problems with Kontact/Kmail. None. Nada. Zip.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
        I've used my instructions at the link that oshunluvr provided on the last three Kubuntu OS's I've used, and it works flawlessly. No problems with Akonadi; no problems with Kontact/Kmail. None. Nada. Zip.
        Did akonadi work with 11.04? If so, I'll dump 11.10 and try that. I've literally never seen it stable, though. ... and I've been using KDE since v2.0. Yeah, that's a long time ago. It was buggy as hell until 3.5. By the end of 3.5, it was bullet proof. I had never had a system that was perfectly stable before. ... or since.

I just need it to liberate some old Kontact data so I don't care if it's the latest or gratest. I just don't want to install any more KDE platforms with a broken akonadi, like Kubuntu 11.10.

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr
          akonadi-server is required by plasma (why? I don't know...) but the rest of it should come off OK.
          If you disable the Krunner plugin for calendar events, then the clock no longer needs Akonadi. That's how I got Akonadi to finally stop loading. Changing the StartServer line in akonadiserverrc wasn't enough.

Comment

Working...
          X