This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OpenOffice crashes when opening documents

I am running Lucid with the Trinity desktop. I have openoffice.org-writer, version 1:3.2.0-7ubuntu6

I am able to save an open a basic "hello world" document, but I am unable to open any documents I have created with formatting. The most basic document I am unable to open was a for-sale sign -- large text sizes, colored text, and some simple line borders between sections.
    I have documented stored in .odt and .doc format, and have the same results when trying to open any of them. I start up OO and select file/open. When I double-click a filename, OO locks completely, with the open-dialog window still showing (but cut to within the borders of the Writer window). The only way I can get rid of it is to "killall soffice.bin -9"

I've tried uninstalling all openoffice packages and reinstalling just Writer. I'm not sure what else to try at this point other than compiling a fresh copy of OO. Any help would be appriciated!

Re: OpenOffice crashes when opening documents

if you run OOo from a terminal, does it spit out any useful errors when it locks up or crashes?
    Home: Kubuntu 12.04-amd64; Intel i7-860 on Intel DH55PJ; Nvidia 9500GT; 6GB RAM
    Network Slave: Xubuntu 11.10-x86; Intel P4-Prescott on MSI; 2GB RAM; Nvidia FX5200
    Portable: Xubuntu 11.10-amd64; Asus EeePC 1015PEM

Comment

I can start oowriter from the terminal, but it disconnects and gives me a prompt as soon as the program window opens up. When I close the program (without trying to open anything), I get this...

$ KCrash: Application 'soffice.bin' crashing...

Otherwise nothing else appears in the terminal.

Comment

I don't know enough about the Trinity desktop to say if maybe it is causing this problem. Is there anything you can directly link to this problem with OOo? A major upgrade? An upgrade of OOo?

In other words, have you ever had this problem before with the Trinity desktop?
        Network Slave: Xubuntu 11.10-x86; Intel P4-Prescott on MSI; 2GB RAM; Nvidia FX5200

Comment

Have you tried renaming your user direcotry?

try mv ~/.openoffice.org ~/.openoffice.old

Please Read Me

Comment

@rfakhrai: Unfortunately I cannot tie it one way or the other to the trinity desktop. I don't remember for certain when I upgraded to Lucid, but I do know that's when I had to move move to trinity to maintain a working desktop. It is possible they are connected, but it's been some time since I had to work on any documents (probably some time last Fall).

@oshunluvr: I did run into suggestions for that, and tried moving out the old user directory. Unfortunately that had no affect on what I could open.

Today I removed all of the OO packages and installed LibreOffice through the ppa. There was a slight difference in that I am able to open a for-sale document created in November, but everything else still locks up, including a similar for-sale document created last June. Both for-sale documents are .odt, the other documents I tried to open are .odt and .doc.

I decided there's a good chance that rather than the office packages being the problem, perhaps its more likely an issue with one of the dependency libraries. I pulled the list of depends for libreoffice-core, and did a reinstall on all of them, without any errors, however the problem still remains.

Comment

and are you sure this for-sale sign file is not corrupt? Have you tried opening it on another machine? I know the likelihood of .odt corruption is slim but, right now, I have nothing more to offer.

Comment

That I cannot say for sure, but it would be a strange coincidence that ALL of my .odt files (stored on 3 different servers) were corrupted at the same time.

What I can say for sure is I have a .doc file which is the basic layout for printing business cards. There's nothing in the file but a 1-page table without any formatting. This file, and the new business-card file I created this week, are opening up just fine in Word-2003 under wine1.3. I've had no problems opening and saving those files the past few days in Word, however OO and LO both crash when I try to open these files.

Comment

Does this happen if you uninstall the kde integration package if you have it installed (libreoffice-kde/openoffice.org-kde)?

The KDE integration packages for openoffice/libreoffice have caused some crashes in the past, and that's an especially valid candidate if you're using trinity.

Comment

I did have openoffice.org-kde installed, however there is no libreoffice-kde for lucid, so I guess I've tried it both ways.

Would anyone happen to have the ./configure options for building libreoffice? It's been quite awhile since I've had to compile a package, but at this point I think it might be worthwhile to try this out.

Comment

Working...
                    X