This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thunderbird

This is a new idea for me, how do I get Thunderbird to use the USB flash drive, so I can use flash drive to save emails? Can I move it from /home to usb??

Re: Thunderbird

In Thunderbird, select "Edit,Account Settings,Server Settings,Local Directory.Browse"
    Your usb drive has to be mounted for Thunderbird to see it or you could just copy your Inbox to it.

Comment

Re: Thunderbird

I suppose there are several ways to do this. I assume your intention is to have your email and settings available at several locations, all linux? The above suggestion is the simplest.

The short answer is "Yes" - I use a partition that's is not in my /home for thunderbird and firefox data, it's just a matter of using a symlink.

You could create a backup script that would copy your email folders from your hard drive to your thumb drive and back - an extra couple of steps every time you used email (annoying IMO).

You could create a symlink on each computer named ~/.thunderbird and have all thunderbird data on the thumb drive or you could link just the folders to your thumb drive. The difference would be if you launched thunderbird without the thumb drive attached - in the first instance thunderbird would likely not launch at all in the second it would launch but have empty folders.

One possible issue I see is that hal automounts your thumb drive when you insert it and not necessarily at the same location or using the same device name. That means your link may not be correct. I believe there is a way to force hal to mount a particular device at a specific location, but you'll have to search for that. Otherwise, you'll have to insert a mount command in fstab and mount it that way to ensure a solo mount point or manually mount it at each insertion.

On my system the default location for the thumb drive mount is /media/disk-1 but it could be slightly different one yours.

Would you like to test it? Don't worry - this shouldn't kill anything

1. Open a terminal window and type ls /media
      2. Insert your thumb drive. This should open a pop-up in device notifier. Click on the plug-in symbol to mount the thumb drive.
      3. Wait a tic - then do ls /media in the terminal again. You will now see where your thumb drive mounts (I'll assume "/media/disk-1")
      4. Open dolphin, select your thumb drive, create a new folder (any name is fine) named "tbird" on the thumb drive then copy the entire contents of ~/.thunderbird into the tbird folder. Actually - a folder on the thumb drive isn't actually required - but I assume you'd want to put other data on it as well and folders keep things tidy.
      5. Back in your home directory - rename (not delete yet) the .thunderbird folder to .thunderbird-old. It's hidden so you'll have to enable hidden files if you're using a file manager or you can do it in a terminal with these commands:

cd ~
      mv .thunderbird .thunderbird-old

6. Create a new symlink (symbolic link) - in the terminal again

cd ~
      ln -s /media/disk-1/tbird .thunderbird

Now launch thunderbird and see if it works. In case you want to revert, simply delete the .thunderbird symlink and rename .thunderbird-old back to .thunderbird.

You'll have to follow these steps on each computer you use and good luck to you if any of them are windows machines!

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
      X