This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Partition Manager couldn't create a partition but GParted did

This is weird, I was used to using Partition Manager to create my partition for every single time I wanted to try a new GNU/Linux OS. I could choose just any unallocated space no matter where it was located in my hdd and make it in a few seconds. In my extended partition I had an unallocated space and 2 ext3 partitions and a swap one in that order. When I tried to make the new ext3 partition there, it told me there was an error and couldn't create it. The error message was unspecific so I went to my K menu and opened GParted and used it to create such ext3 partition there and it just got created in about half a minute or less. I was confused because of this so I made Partition Manager delete such partition and try to create it like GParted did... and it failed once again. I had to go back to GParted to make sure it got created the way I wanted.

Is there any known bug regarding this inability to create partitions in a hdd with existing partitions and some unallocated space?
    Multibooting: Kubuntu Noble 24.04
    Before: Jammy 22.04, Focal 20.04, Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
    Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly
    Using Linux since June, 2008

Re: Partition Manager couldn't create a partition but GParted did

If I remember correctly partition manager has its issues.

also, I think it will not work on mounted partitions.
    so if your extended partition is mounted then it will refuse to work.

I general I would frefrain from partitioning from a running system.

Get yourself partedmagic live cd (ubs):
    http://partedmagic.com/download.html

or the gparted live cd:
    http://gparted.sourceforge.net/download.php

Hope this helps
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by Fintan
      I general I would frefrain from partitioning from a running system.
      ?

Smartass comment: How do you partition a system that's not running? Lol

I assume you meant refrain from partitioning a drive in use by the current OS.

I agree it's easier in some ways to partition from a livecd - but in some ways not safer. I.e. gparted running from an OS on the hard drive won't allow you to reformat the system partition(s) in use. From the live CD it will.

Please Read Me

Comment

Smartass comment: How do you partition a system that's not running?
        I don't know what is smartass about that.
        But then again, it is very hard to partition (not possible) a system that IS running:

I agree it's easier in some ways to partition from a livecd - but in some ways not safer. I.e. gparted running from an OS on the hard drive won't allow you to reformat the system partition(s) in use. From the live CD it will.
        Whereby partitioning a partition (system) that is not mounted is perfectly feasible.

Okay, yes I meant that, so get anal with me and while you are at it clean up your attitude.

I.e. gparted running from an OS on the hard drive won't allow you to reformat the system partition(s) in use.
        It is quite possible that the author has the partition running his system on the extended partition, which would be mounted and thus partition manager will not allow changes whereas gparted will.

Either way I ma getting out of this discussion.
        HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
        4 GB Ram
        Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

No, only the Kubuntu partition I was working on was the one locked from being partitioned by mistake.

(OK, but stop hijacking the thread...)
          Multibooting: Kubuntu Noble 24.04
          Before: Jammy 22.04, Focal 20.04, Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
          Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly
          Using Linux since June, 2008

Comment

Fintan: First of all let me apologize. I was only trying to be somewhat humorous. I obviously failed miserably and I'm sorry you felt like I was trying to insult you.

My poor attempt at a point was (and still is) my opinion that your comment was a bit hard to understand because of your choice of terminology.

The word "system" can mean several things and doesn't mean to me what it means to you. I feel the forum postings are a service and therefore we should attempt to be clear to any and all who may read or efforts - of which you clearly have done more than your fair share.

"System" can mean - Operating System, Computer System, or any collection of components, processes or even ideas that work together.

I believe in your statement "I general I would frefrain from partitioning from a running system." you intended Operating System. At my first read I saw it as Computer System. After a re-read or two I figured out what you meant and chuckled (hence the poor attempt at humor).

I thought others less experience than ourselves might draw the same incorrect conclusion so I felt it necessary to clear that up a bit and that was my only intent.

p.s. Yes, I am anal and freely admit it

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
            X