Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Help! Deinstalled most KDE packages...

Sounds like a bad case of #10.

See the link in my signature.

Comment

So, loginloop...I have it with 2 of 3 accounts, hence 1 is working correctly. Any more suggestions? I already searched for fiels in ~ belonging to root and chowned them back to the user. Queer thing, too: Chromium stopped remembering opened tabs.

greetings,

bienchen

Comment

Make sure your filesystem is not full, first. That's another cause of the problem.

Code:
        sudo df -h
        If it's not a full filesystem, and it's not ~.Xauthority and/or ~.ICEauthority, then the next thing to try is a bit more drastic -- fair warning, it will cost you all your KDE desktop customizations, although it is possible to track down and restore them from the old file. At your /home/user/~ $ prompt:

Code:
        mv .kde .kde_broke
        Log out of the desktop, or restart your computer, so you can log in to KDE once again. In the new login session, a new default .kde folder will be created, and if you wish to retrieve custom settings from the old one, they are available there.

Before you spend a lot of time in the new login session, check it out by logging out and back in a time or two. This should fix the issue -- if it doesn't, then there's something subtle and rather unusual going on there.

Comment

Hi again,

file system is not full.

I deleted .ICEauthority and .Xauthority once.

I move .kde to .kde.bck (sorry, forgot to mention it) but gave it only a single try. Will try login in several times with a fresh .kde.
          Does it help if I move .kde and start KDE via startx, once?

greetings,

bienchen

Comment

You really need to stop and restart KDM, which is accomplished when you either reboot the system or at a tty console:

Code:
            sudo service kdm stop
            Code:
            sudo service kdm start

Code:
            startx
            does not run the greeter, IIRC.

Comment

So, I tried everything I can think of: Rebooting, restarting kdm, creating new .kde (with 2x login/ logoff + reboot), deleting .cache, .kde/"all-dirs-named-after-my-pc", .kde/"cache-stuff", deleting .nvidia-settings-rc, deleting .dbus...still no success, while now 2 of 3 accounts are working as usual.

greetings,

bienchen

Comment

Originally posted by bienchen

file system is not full.
                Does this mean it is less than 94% full, or between 95% - 99% full? I just remembered that ext3/4 filesystems reserve 5%, by default, for root use. (This can be adjusted to a smaller amount). So, it really needs to be no more than 94%, and if it is close to 95%, you may get "login loops".

Comment

/ is 34% full
                  /home 65%

Comment

Wow, OK, you have plenty of free space there.

Hmmmmm. I don't have any different ideas -- it's odd that one account apparently was fixed by using a clean KDM login, but the second was not. Right?

I know what they say about doing the same thing over again, and expecting a different result But, looking at my previous guidance, it wasn't crystal clear on the sequencing. The idea is to rename the .kde folder, then shut down the X server, (or vice-versa sequence), then have that user log in to a new X server session, which creates a new default .kde folder for him/her. To be bold, you might as well rename the other suspect files. So, here's what I would try one more time, in sequence.

1. Ctrl-Alt-F1 and log in at the tty console.

Code:
                    sudo service kdm stop
                    Code:
                    mv .kde .kde_bak
                    Code:
                    mv .ICEauthority .ICEauthority_old
                    Code:
                    mv .Xauthority .Xauthority_old
                    Code:
                    sudo service kdm start
                    5. Chant a mantra to the little monkey-god, and burn some chicken feathers.

6. Log in.

I'll cross my fingers.

Comment

Nope, monkey-god does not like me. Probably I should sacrifice more bananas?

greetings,

Stefan

Comment

It's not good when the monkey-god is working against you!

I just reviewed this thread from the beginning. Your system has kind of been torture-tested, huh? With the various catastrophes that have been inflicted upon it, it's really very difficult to imagine all the possible sources of trouble with it. Being a rather impatient person, I would probably try reinstalling all of the Kubuntu desktop first:

Code:
                        sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
                        Code:
                        sudo apt-get install --reinstall kubuntu-desktop
                        That might or might not help, but at least we'll be certain that it's all there.

I'm out of gas on what might still be wrong in your user's home directory, but it is undoubtedly some corruption of permissions on something. To avoid reinstalling the entire system, you could make a new user and assign that user "sudo" privileges, i.e. make him a member of the sudoers group (a forum or Google search will provide details). Then you will use that user from now on -- I assume his home folder won't be immediately corrupted like the previous ones were. Don't do any root operations within the user's folder, and he should be OK.

If that doesn't work, then ... make an Alternate Install CD ... back up all data externally ... use GParted to repartition and reformat the hard drive partitions that you use for Linux ... start the installation process.

Comment

Well, the problem remains but I got used to it. Reinstalling is not an option and switching to the console on each login is not so hard.

greetings,

bienchen

Comment

Originally posted by bienchen
                            So, loginloop...I have it with 2 of 3 accounts, hence 1 is working correctly. Any more suggestions? I already searched for fiels in ~ belonging to root and chowned them back to the user. Queer thing, too: Chromium stopped remembering opened tabs.
                            If one account is working correctly then there's most likely a problem with the other two accounts. root shouldn't own files in anyone's home directory and IIRC kdm won't allow a user to log on if permissions on the home directory (particularly ~/.dmrc) are incorrect.

If you create a new user can that user log on properly?
                            we see things not as they are, but as we are.
                            -- anais nin

Comment

Working...
                            X