X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help! Deinstalled most KDE packages...

Hi there,

I really need some help, now. I somewhat accidantely uninstalled most of the KDE packages. Can anybody provide me a list what's in the standard installation? Telling me which applications are in which of the menu entries would also be of great help. E.g. "Development" now only carries Emacs, "Graphics" has only Gimp left and so on...

regards,

bienchen

Re: Help! Deinstalled most KDE packages...

Can't somebody just boot the Kubuntu install-disc and post like one sub menu here? This would really help a lot. I'm on vacation, internet only per usb-stick, no install disc with me...and I'm afraid, KDE won't start the next time I boot.

regards,

bienchen

Comment

The Linux is keeping logs. The Ubuntu is Debian based so the package management logs are in the dpkg log.

(earlier> Topic: Update Logs)

Checking installed/updated/removed packages from the dpkg log:

Recent status log:
      Code:
      grep "status installed" /var/log/dpkg.log
      Code:
      grep upgrade /var/log/dpkg.log
      Code:
      grep remove /var/log/dpkg.log
      A bit older dpkg log:
      Code:
      grep "status installed" /var/log/dpkg.log.1
      Code:
      grep upgrade /var/log/dpkg.log.1
      Code:
      grep remove /var/log/dpkg.log.1
      The oldest logs - rotated dpkg logs (packed): dpkg.log.2.gz, dpkg.log.3.gz...

So - looking the removed packages from the dpkg log:
      Code:
      grep remove /var/log/dpkg.log

If you were removing with the Synaptic package manager then you could look the Synaptic > File > History. Synaptic history files are saved in /root/.synaptic/log/

The "Kubuntu" is the (meta)package kubuntu-desktop.

Here you will find list of depending/recommending packages > kubuntu-desktop
      This package depends on all of the packages in the Kubuntu desktop system. Installing this package will include the default Kubuntu Plasma Desktop installation.

The K-Menu is dynamic > kde-menu:
      KSycoca

KSycoca caches menu structure and information about all available applications. You can rebuild the database with kbuildsycoca4. The database which is built lives in /var/tmp/kdecache-${USER}/ksycoca. It is automatically updated by KDED, checked during KDE login, and KDED watches for changes while logged in.

The complete iso image package list can be found from the Kubuntu download page. > Kubuntu.org > .... > Kubuntu 10.04 LTS (Lucid Lynx):

> kubuntu-10.04-alternate-amd64.list
      > kubuntu-10.04-alternate-i386.list
      Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
      1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
      2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Well, this is the answer I have seeked! Provides the simplest solution whatsoever!

Of course, in the meantime things have gotten worse...my mobile connection failed, therefore I moved to a cafe providing wireless access...noticed, that my MacBook does NOT recover from sleep mode in Kubuntu and now I got no working X, uninstalled networkmanager...but I found the iso image of the install disc on another partition!

Plan is:

- Mount iso
        - Register mounted iso as source
        - reinstall stuff...

I don't know how to do this, but I'm sure the internet does!

kind regards,

bienchen

Comment

Now I reinstalled something, but the X server still won't start :-(

Comment

OK, it looks like reinstalling following my former plans did not work.
            I mounted the iso image to a directory, placed the dir in /etc/apt/sources.list like this:

deb file:/dir lucid main restrictions

and then I ran apt-get update but got messages like
            IGN file ... lucid
            IGN file ... main
            IGN file ... restrictions

Sorry I could not post the real output but in Linux I have no internet at this moment and no chance to copy stuff to my hfs partitions.

regards,

bienchen

Comment

if you can copy the .deb files on to your machine then you can install them w/ dpkg -i (its not gonna be fun) it would be much ezer if you can add cd as a repo source, or get a net connection , can you post your sources.list file and the out put you get when you try to upgrade..
              Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
              (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Well, I can copy the sources.list, but this takes a while. I think I'll try getting an empty CD...I have a USB disk, would that be of any help?

regards,

bienchen

Comment

OK, I probably got the last CD in this place. Burning, then we'll see...

Comment

You have a CD now, but no worries, you can also copy Kubuntu onto an USB Disk
                    Most important laptop specs (this is my main computer, with Kubuntu on it):<br /><br />4096MB RAM (DDR2)<br />500GB Hard Disk<br />ATI Mobility Radeon 4570HD Videocard with 512MB GDDR3 RAM, up to 2280MB VRAM<br />Intel® Core™ 2 Duo-processor T6600<br /><br />OS: Kubuntu 10.10

Comment

CD is burned, but...is it right that there are only 35 deb packages stored on it? How am I supposed to reanimate my Kubuntu from this?

I think, I start searching the roughly 30 package I've lost and install them via dpkg...

regards,

bienchen

Comment

Just add the CD to your software sources
                        Most important laptop specs (this is my main computer, with Kubuntu on it):<br /><br />4096MB RAM (DDR2)<br />500GB Hard Disk<br />ATI Mobility Radeon 4570HD Videocard with 512MB GDDR3 RAM, up to 2280MB VRAM<br />Intel® Core™ 2 Duo-processor T6600<br /><br />OS: Kubuntu 10.10

Comment

Did that (apt-cdrom add) followed by "apt-get update" and then I tried "apt-get install" over all missing packages.

Still no success.

Comment

do u still have the cd you installed from ? you should be able to use that as a repo source to install the packages you removed.(see rog131's post above on where to find that).
                            Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                            (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Well, I'm back home again and have internet via cable again. I think I reinstalled all package but now I can't log in from kdm. After entering my pw, it just shows a konsole for a second and goes back to the login screen. Running KDE by startx from console login works.

What I did inbetween: Booted into the live cd and manually copied over /bin, /usr and /lib.

I think now I only have to bring kdm up again and firefox (at the moment it shows only the "install" window).

greetings,

bienchen

Comment

Working...
                              X