This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OpenOffice Writer - long delay when opening files

Whenever I open an existing file in oowriter, the program appears to hang for about 30-seconds before the file eventually opens. I've uninstalled the infamous openoffice.org-kde, so that's not the problem. Anybody have any ideas?

Edit to add that it apparently also does it when saving a new file for the first time. After that it saves instantaneously.

Re: OpenOffice Writer - long delay when opening files

in "options- working memory" you should set the graphic-cache from 64 MB to 128 MB and the next "memory per object" from 8 MB to 32 MB.
    If you don´t need java, go to the javapart and deactivate the java- option.

Also - if you are using java - dump opensdk and install sun java

Have you tried various files to see if it's the same?

Also try it from the CLI - oowriter /path/filename

Please Read Me

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

Tried everything you recommended and I'm still getting a long delay. This happens with any arbitrary file I open.

Is there a log somewhere for OpenOffice so I can see if it's spitting out any errors?

Comment

In 9.10 I found that I had to remove the open-office-kde integration package to solve this long delay when saving and opening. I hoped it was solved for 10.04 but I had the same long wait so I removed the package openoffice.org-kde and saving and opening files is now back to normal speed, just looks less fancy.

Maybe today's Openoffice upgrade has fixed it? Worth checking before you try anything.

I use 64 bit version by the way and this one small thing is the only glitch I have had in an excellent distribution.

Feirefis

Comment

Originally posted by Feirefis
          In 9.10 I found that I had to remove the open-office-kde integration package to solve this long delay when saving and opening.
          Yes, as I mentioned in the opening post I've already removed the openoffice.org-kde package, but I'm still getting a delay when opening a file. However, curiously enough, once OpenOffice is up and running and I've already loaded an existing file, opening other files happens instantaneously like it's supposed to, so apparently this only occurs when loading or saving a file for the first time, after which OpenOffice appears to function normally.

Not a deal breaker, but there's obviously something going wrong somewhere that I'd like to resolve. Still no luck tracking down an OpenOffice log file. A solution might suggest itself if I could see what's going on under the hood.

Comment

Working...
          X