This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am very impressed

I have been using Linux since 1995, mostly Slackware. I have tried other distributions but always went back. I have been running Ubuntu in Virtual Box on my Windows machine and liked it but I have always used the KDE desktop so decided to put a new install of Kubuntu on my Slackware machine. I copied a few files off the machine to a thumb drive, downloaded the iso image file, burned a CD and rebooted. The installation was very direct and painless. I resized the partitions, created a swap and made a ext4 file system. Then I went and made a pot of coffee while Kubuntu was installed.

I am very impressed with the installation program apt-get. I used it to install Postfix added my relay info in the config files and my email was working. Then I used it to install Dovecot-imapd. I had a lot of problems getting my IMAP subdirectories to show up. Thunderbird won't even load on the Linux machine and from the Windows 7 machine it only sees some of the subfolders. So I tried Kmail. After learning how to get rid of the 'most messages in its own folder' display I liked it. I still had some issues with subfolders but by turning debug on in Dovecot and reading the logs I finally got namespaces defined properly. Then I used apt-get to install Spamassassin and wow, I didn't even have to look at the config files it works fine. And Kmail moves all the spam to the trash automatically. I just have to decide on the questionable ones. I have found a couple of false positives but once Spamassassin is trained I will edit maildrop so spam goes to /dev/null and I don't have to look at it.

Then I installed Apache, moved my index.html into /var/www and I have my home page again. I forgot my background image so I used Firefox to find a new one on the web. The problem is when I right click on a pic and choose 'save image' nothing happens. I tired several different sites and no joy. So I fired up Konquerer and it worked fine for grabbing the image files. But when I went to Facebook and tried to add a comment nothing happened when I hit enter. A lot of people like to make fun of Microsoft in Linux forums but IE and Outlook have given me less trouble over the years than the Netscape spinoffs.

Frustrated I downloaded Opera.....deb, ran kpkg -i and am now using the Opera browser. Then I used apt-get to install BOINC and all I had to do was attach to the projects I do work for. Wanting to rest from my labors I looked for Freecell but found no games installed. Apt-get install kdegames solved that. I am very impressed with the way packages are installed, menu entries made and additions to the default startup scripts are taken care of.

I did notice that all users are in their own groups. I think idiots will still make their files world accessible but it isn't a major problem. I can always make special groups and put users in them. SUDO however is way to big a security problem to leave. Giving root access to all users just increases the chances of a weak password being exploited. And having to type your password 20 or 30 times in an hour encourages the use of 'fj' or 'ff' or the like. So I gave root a password, use the venerable Switch User command, and disabled sudo.

All in all, a job well done,

David Stites
    Pullman, WA

BTW, does the donate button at the top of the page contribute to the total Ubuntu project or just the forums?

Re: I am very impressed

I did notice that all users are in their own groups. I think idiots will still make their files world accessible but it isn't a major problem. I can always make special groups and put users in them. SUDO however is way to big a security problem to leave. Giving root access to all users just increases the chances of a weak password being exploited. And having to type your password 20 or 30 times in an hour encourages the use of 'fj' or 'ff' or the like. So I gave root a password, use the venerable Switch User command, and disabled sudo.
    It took me awhile to get used to a individual groups thing. I have a true multiuser environment here and a need to allow group access to some server folders. No matter, I learned to use sticky-bits and correct mounting procedures. I wonder about your belief that allowing su is more secure than sudo. I believe the default install of Kubuntu only gives admin rights to the first user created. I suppose that repeated password entry could be considered less secure, but I don't find myself often needing repeated sudo access. When I know I will be doing multiple things over a short stretch, I use su -i.

I too find mozilla products tiresome and have switched to chrome. Anyway, welcome to the forum and Kubuntu.

Please Read Me

Comment

Re: I am very impressed

OK, I skimmed the man page for sudo and it is not as bad as I thought. I still will use the standard su command most of the time but I reactivated sudo in case I just need to run one or two commands. I see you only have to enter the password once each 15 minutes. I have also downloaded Chrome and am giving it a try.

Have fun,
      David

Comment

Working...
      X