This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lucid?

With the release of Maverick, is anyone still using Lucid? Either that or Lucid is working so well as an LTS, that there just aren't any more questions.

It just seems like traffic in the Lucid forums has dropped way off. Mine's working as well as it can.
    The next brick house on the left
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Re: Lucid?

I have Lucid, and just booted into it this afternoon and updated from KDE 4.5.1 to KDE 4.5.3. I keep two versions of Kubuntu on my laptop - the current and prior versions. I'm using Maverick as my main OS as it is, for me, ROCK STEADY.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by jglen490
      With the release of Maverick, is anyone still using Lucid?
      Yep....and with absolutely no plans to change or upgrade.

Regards...
      Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all! http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/
      How do I know this personally? Please read here: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...hn-8-12-36442/
      PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST! You don't have to end up here: https://soulchoiceministries.org/pod...i-see-in-hell/

Comment

My server is and will continue to be lucid and my desktop is for now as well. I tried to do a maverick install, but it failed miserably. I'm going to wait for KDE4.6 to be main stream and maybe then try again.

Please Read Me

Comment

That's good, and actually is what I was hoping.

Lucid is working as well as can be expected, given my hardware. As in baseball, no runs, no hits, no errors; pitching a perfect game.

I have some issues, but nothing that requires more than preferential use of certain software over other software! Functionally, Lucid is superb 8)
          The next brick house on the left
          Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

i am still in the middle of a two-day nightmare, installing lucid. i had karmic running fairly well, but when i started the install things went south, and i'm still not back up and running yet.

i seem to recall a similar thing happening the last time i upgraded from an LTS release... nobody else that i know has had anything like the amount of difficulty i've been having, and currently have. i'm seriously thinking of switching distros, because k/ubuntu does great except when it's time to upgrade... >
            ⇑ Hybrid Elephant
            http://www.hybridelephant.com/
            ⇓ The world's finest exotic incense

Comment

I've had enough "dist-upgrade" nightmares so now I always save enough space for a parallel install, do a fresh install of the new version and migrate my settings and tweaks over to it.

Once the new install is stable, I set it as the default boot and leave the old install as a bcakup until the next upgrade.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr
                I've had enough "dist-upgrade" nightmares so now I always save enough space for a parallel install, do a fresh install of the new version and migrate my settings and tweaks over to it.

Once the new install is stable, I set it as the default boot and leave the old install as a bcakup until the next upgrade.
                that's an idea i hadn't thought of... i'll have to take that into consideration when i'm buying my next hard disk... 8)
                ⇑ Hybrid Elephant

Comment

If you have a separate /home (you should) you really only need 12-16gb for an install. Also makes a great backup boot OS if (when ) you mess something up! I've been doing this (and needing it) for years.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr
                    If you have a separate /home (you should) you really only need 12-16gb for an install.
                    i don't know how to "move" my /home directory... i actually bought a separate 200 gb hard disk for this very purpose, but because i can't figure out how to get it to mount at bootup, it has, to this day, only collected music files...
                    ⇑ Hybrid Elephant

Comment

It's not too hard. I will assume you have installed the new hard drive and have partitioned and formatted it the way you want. For the purpose of this example I will refer to your new target location for your /home as /dev/sdb1 (basically, second hard drive first partition). Adjust this accordingly. All commands you will be typing are in bold.

1. Boot up but don't log into the GUI. Instead, hit CTRL-ALT-F1 and log into the text console.
                      2. Enter superuser mode: sudo -i
                      3. Mount the new partition: mount /dev/sdb1 /media
                      4. Copy all your files over: cd /home ; tar -cf - . | (cd /media ; tar -xvf -)
                      5. Unmount the new partition: umount /dev/sdb1
                      6. Rename the old home: mv /home /homeold
                      7. Create a new mount point for the new partition: mkdir /home
                      8. Exit superuser mode: exit
                      9. Return to the GUI and log in: CRTL-ALT-F7

You may now log in and begin using your old home. You now have two more things to make this complete. Most importantly is to edit /etc/fstab and add the /home partition so that when you reboot you'll be using your new /home again. Finally, you may notice I suggested copying files over rather than moving them. This leaves the old /home intact (as /homeold) in case something goes wrong. Once you're sure everything is OK, you'll want to delete this directory to free up that space.

Please Read Me

Comment

Lucid here. I do clean-installs on the *.04 series only. I can't wait for 11.04.

I think the reason you're not seeing many issues in the Lucid forum is because the most dangerous thing we've done to our computers since the initial release was upgrading to KDE 4.5.3. None of this KDE 4.6 business 8)
                        Home: Kubuntu 12.04-amd64; Intel i7-860 on Intel DH55PJ; Nvidia 9500GT; 6GB RAM
                        Network Slave: Xubuntu 11.10-x86; Intel P4-Prescott on MSI; 2GB RAM; Nvidia FX5200
                        Portable: Xubuntu 11.10-amd64; Asus EeePC 1015PEM

Comment

Yup LL hear as well........2 box's 1 cleen install.........the emachine from trash............and my mane box that has ben net upgrading from release to release sence 8.10 or so it just hasent ben pushed to 10.10 YET..................

VINNY

PS: nice down and dirty /home moving HOW TO there @ oshunluvr asuming he has a /dev/sdb1 /media ........other wise he neads to make that first ........insert betwen 2 and 3 in howto
                          Code:
                          mkdir /dev/sdb1 /media
                          bla bla bla couldn't resist.......sorry

VINNY
                          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                          16GB RAM
                          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Yeah, I just assumed he'd have the /media directory - but you're right, maybe not.

On the topic of moving /home, Mandriva's disk tool - DiskDrake does a great job with this almost automagically. I really miss that tool.

Please Read Me

Comment

I've been running Lucid since Alpha and plan to stay with it till the next LTS.
                              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                              X