This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mostly Successful Upgrade

I just want to say.... I upgraded! I am running Kubuntu on a Toshiba satellite 5205-S204 I have had since January 2003 (P4-M 2.0ghz, geforce460m and 1gb ram).

I took the Linux plunge with Jaunty last December (if you don't count my baby eee running its flavor of xandros) and did a clean install of Karmic in January. Today I did the upgrade. Started at 2:03 pm and was rebooted and on line at 4:09 pm. So, no messing with wireless settings or losing files, etc.

A couple things:
    --even from jaunty I have not been fully happy with screen resolution and appearance. Default resolution under windows in 1024x768 and that is just easier to see for what I am doing. There is a "muddy" look to everything and things just don't seem to like to behave at my preferred resolution.
    (I think I have found all the settings I can change to improve this but maybe I need to keep looking ...)
    --after messing with resolution and restarting I got all kinds of lovely vertical lines and nonsense. I have read others having this too
    --I had to leave for a few minutes and when I came back the computer was in some mode and I couldn't "wake" it with moving the mouse or pounding random keys
    --I think the 32-21 kernel is going to work better for me, its default resolution is 1280x1024 unlike 32-22 which is giving me 1400x1050.

Mostly I am really pleased that I didn't have to redo all my settings and that things are pretty much working OOTB. It looks like there are a number of new features that are going to take some getting used to in terms of how windows behave and so forth.

For now I am happy! I have been using this old machine primarily to run citrix sessions in order to work from home but also to poke around with a non-windows OS and applications.

cheers,
    ransom
    Puget Systems Custom Desktop XP / Win7 ...so far<br />eee pc 1000HE XP -

Re: Mostly Successful Upgrade

First of all : congratulations on being patient and not easily dissuaded by your issues. I run Citrix too and it amazes my co-workers that I;'m doing it with linux. I haven't the heart to tell them it's likely faster on my box than theirs!

You should look into your video issues. It's likely with a little work you can get it fixed.

Please Read Me

Comment

Hey, thanks for the reply. Yes, I think I can fix whatever is going on. Since LL is not retaining video settings I booted up at 1280x1024 which is looking crisp. Maybe if I fiddle with font sizes then this will work out for me. My goal today is to fix the "sleep" or whatever it is since that would be a deal breaker.

I agree about Citrix. I think when I am working citrix runs rock solid on linux. When we first went to citrix I had all kinds of issues with dropped connections. Now I have almost zero, with the occasional bit of lag - but I get that from inside the office too.

ransom
      Puget Systems Custom Desktop XP / Win7 ...so far<br />eee pc 1000HE XP -

Comment

The only issue I have with citrix is the icons in the client (GiftWorks) get fuzzy when you hover. I suppose it is intended but it cause 's a little concern. I have to keep glancing around the screen to see if everything is fuzzy and I'm about to pass out!

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
        X