This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why Upgrade?

The last time I did an online upgrade from Jaunty to Karmic, nothing worked much. What is new in Lucid? Why should I upgrade?

Why Upgrade?

The last time I upgraded online, from Jaunty to Karmic, nothing worked? Why should I upgrade to Lucid? What is new in the new version?

Comment

Re: Why Upgrade?

It's just the next step, part of what makes using linux so much fun. On my system, there are plenty of improvements over Karmic regarding speed and overall stability. And, it is the next LTS release so it'll be supported by security and stability updates through April 2013. Karmic will only get you updates until this time next year.

I'd recommend doing a clean install; there are always some hiccups to be expected with upgrades. A clean install of the new Lucid should convince you that it's a really nice OS.
      Home: Kubuntu 12.04-amd64; Intel i7-860 on Intel DH55PJ; Nvidia 9500GT; 6GB RAM
      Network Slave: Xubuntu 11.10-x86; Intel P4-Prescott on MSI; 2GB RAM; Nvidia FX5200
      Portable: Xubuntu 11.10-amd64; Asus EeePC 1015PEM

Comment

I just did my new install - MAN the repos are over loaded. It took more than 24 hours to get updates and the software I want. Longest install ever!

I'd suggest giving it a few weeks if you can wait.

Please Read Me

Comment

I'd do a clean install. I did a clean install of Kubuntu 10.04 LTS on one drive and an upgrade from Kubuntu 9.10 on another drive and I only have problems with the upgrade from 9.10.

At least though with 10.04 LTS you can keep it on your drive for 3 years.

Ok, so why upgrade? To get all the new stuff. I like new stuff.

Comment

Yo,

For the third time running I upgraded on-line and everything is just fine (or at least I've not seen anything that does not work yet).

Upgrade took about an hour in total and the only problem was on the re-boot. Grub not found or some such error. But I have the grub boot-up disc in my Linux folder and 'hey presto' we were up and running.

Kubuntu really needs this level of integrity if those windoze users and especially those who don't want to have to 'hack' are to have any confidence in Linux.

Great stuff and congrats to everyone involved.
            Celeron CPU G1610@2.60GHz x 2
            GeForce 8400 GS/PCle/SSE2
            Kubuntu 14.04 - 64 bit Linux - KDE 4.13.0

Comment

The upgrade went pretty smooth for me. A couple of minor hitches (such as the KDE panel - the one at the bottom of the screen - not showing up) that I was able to resolve with minimal effort. But then I'm an advanced computer user who has used Linux pretty extensively for several years, so what was trivial for me would have likely posed an insurmountable challenge for a newbie. Really not an acceptable state of affairs for a distro that's supposed to be easy enough for anybody to use.

Personally, I recommend upgrading since it's always nice to have the latest and greatest; just be warned that it may not be trouble free.

Comment

I had a lot of problems with Karmic, and for me Lucid has resolved them beautifully. With Karmic, I can run different activities in different desktops (an instant crash in karmic) and that has opened up KDE4 for me. (I still can't enable desktop effects with this hardware, BTW, but that's fine for now)

Based on what I'm reading, wifi users should probably hold back for now. If you've got a wired connection, I'd recommend that you go for it.

Comment

Originally posted by madman_page
                  Based on what I'm reading, wifi users should probably hold back for now. If you've got a wired connection, I'd recommend that you go for it.
                  I had no problems. The fresh installation of Lucid from LiveCD (to two prepared/formatted partitions using GParted LiveCD), gave me KNetworkManager. I read the posts concerning installing Wicd - that unlike previous Kubuntu releases, installing Wicd does not remove KNetworkManger. So, you have to ensure that KNetworkManager is fully removed after installing Wicd.

GreyGeek has a nice explanation on that: Remarks about Lucid Lynx. Scroll down to Wicd, Knetworkmanager, netapplet, knm-runtime, etc...
                  Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                  "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

For me upgrading is the only option.
                    I have a RAID array that the installer has not worked with since 9.04.
                    The really bad thing about this is that even the server edition won't install on a RAID array, so that sort of cut short a foray down that path with one of our servers that didn't have an ethernet chipset that esxi supported. The boss had us install that nasty Windows HyperV instead.

Hence for a fresh install I have to install 9.04 and then perform two upgrades to get Lucid.
                    Doesn't seem to cause any issues, and I have not had a problem with an upgrade since about 7.04-7.10.
                    You don't need a license to drive a sandwich.

Comment

Working...
                    X