Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

friends,, who can tell me how to install kubuntu 10.04 LTS from hard drive?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

friends,, who can tell me how to install kubuntu 10.04 LTS from hard drive?

now I am using windows 7 OS,, I wanna install kubuntu 10.04 LTS from hard drive,,so if this did,, I will have dual OS in my pc,, I had done it below:

place vmlinuz, initrd.gz and Kubuntu 10.04's ISO in C: partion of my pc,,,install grub by easybcd 1.7.2 and add a new entry of grub boot loader,, then I restart my pc,,enter into grub boot loader,, type:
    root
    kernel /vmlinuz iso-scan/filename=/Kubuntu.....iso boot=install splash
    initrd /initrd.gz
    boot

it seems work well,, but after I configured language,, I cannot go on the installation of kubuntu 10.04,,showing me of no cd-rom drvies found,, something like that,,,

I dunno what is wrong...

could you tell me some reasons about it?

thank you very much!

Re: friends,, who can tell me how to install kubuntu 10.04 LTS from hard drive?

If you want a true dual-boot, you need to burn the .iso file to a CD - creating a LiveCD from which you boot into and then install from. But, you need to prepare your HD for this before hand (it makes things a lot smoother). That requires a partitioning application, and for that, GParted LiveCD version 0.5.2-9 is the way to go.

The 'best' guide for multi-booting Linux and Windows (all flavor) is the How to dual-boot Vista with XP (with XP installed first) - step-by-step guide with screenshots by APC Magazine.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
      If you want a true dual-boot, you need to burn the .iso file to a CD - creating a LiveCD from which you boot into and then install from. But, you need to prepare your HD for this before hand (it makes things a lot smoother). That requires a partitioning application, and for that, GParted LiveCD version 0.5.2-9 is the way to go.

The 'best' guide for multi-booting Linux and Windows (all flavor) is the How to dual-boot Vista with XP (with XP installed first) - step-by-step guide with screenshots by APC Magazine.
      thank you for your answer!,.,, but I cannot open that link above,, ...
      You are not authorized to view this page
      The Web server you are attempting to reach has a list of IP addresses that are not allowed to access the Web site, and the IP address of your browsing computer is on this list. ..

Comment

Your IP address is registered on BotScout.com as a bot (spammer). Until the KFN moderators can discus this, I've placed a temporary ban on your KFN account. You can log in and look around, but you won't be able to post anything.

Snowhog
        KFN Global Moderator

Discussed. Ban removed.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Now that you are cleared, hongqipilang, the first thing I advise is to UNDO everything you've done before and restore your Win7 HD to its pristine condition, i.e., ONLY Win7. You really don't want anything related to Linux in Drive C:, as you've done. Delete all that stuff and reset your Win7 until it boots up as it normally did before you made any changes.

Then....
          1) download a Kubuntu Lucid Lynx iso (32 bit? 64 bit?) and run an md5sum check on it to be sure the download was good.

2) Burn the iso file to a CD to create the Kubuntu LiveCD.

3) Put the LiveCD into your CDROM and boot it. When the menu appears chose the 3rd option, the one that checks the CD for errors. If it says the CD is good then let it reboot the machine and bring the LiveCD menu back up.

4) Chose the FIRST option, run Kubuntu from the CDROM as a LiveCD WITHOUT installing anything to your hard drive. Note that while running in the LiveCD mode your Win7 installation is NOT running. Aso, while running in the LiveCD mode, Kubuntu will be slower than it would be if it were running from your hard drive. HOWEVER, running Kubuntu as a LiveCD will let you test your network connections, your audio system, your video system, mounting USB sticks, your web camera, etc, to see how your hardware works with Kubuntu BEFORE you install it. Depending on how much RAM you have, you can also run KPackageKit and download some apps and test them, if you have a network connection. (2 or 3 GB will allow this).

5) IF you are happy with the way Kubuntu is running as a LiveCD then you must prepare your Win7 HD as Snowhog suggested. One way is to use Win7's HD management tool to squeeze some space out of the HD for Kubuntu. Kubuntu itself will take about 3GB, depending on how many apps you end up installing. You will need an additional 5 to 10 GB minimum for storage space for future needs. So, as a minimum, I recommend at least 15 GB be parted out for Kubuntu. If you have 2 GB or RAM or more you probably won't need a swap partition. I have 3GB of RAM and a 3GB swap. I have never seen the swap partition used. (I gave my entire 250 GB HD to Kubuntu as an EXT4 file system.) The Linux repartitioning application, "GParted" is good with versions of Windows prior to Win7, but I have no experience with Win7. That's why I recommend using Win7 to repartition the HD.

6) Rebooting the LiveCD you will find, when the KDE4 desktop appears, an icon on the desktop folder called "Install Kubuntu". Click it. Answer the questions about your name, password, timezone, keyboard, etc... When it comes to the question of where you want to install Kubuntu you will be given three options:
          a) the whole HD
          b) the unused partition (which should be the partition you freed up.
          c) manually assign Kubuntu to install on a partition.

Try b. If you are not comfortable you can click the "Back" button and try c. If you are not comfortable with c then cancel the whole operation before you write anything to the HD, come back here and discuss your concerns.

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

You can boot an iso directly with grub-pc.

http://rww.dreamwidth.org/3100.html

I doubt seriously anyone less than a very experienced usr could get it done well enought to install from, but it's a seriously cool idea...

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
              Now that you are cleared, hongqipilang, the first thing I advise is to UNDO everything you've done before and restore your Win7 HD to its pristine condition, i.e., ONLY Win7. You really don't want anything related to Linux in Drive C:, as you've done. Delete all that stuff and reset your Win7 until it boots up as it normally did before you made any changes.

Then....
              1) download a Kubuntu Lucid Lynx iso (32 bit? 64 bit?) and run and md5sum check on it to be sure the download was good.

2) Burn the iso file to a CD to create the Kubuntu LiveCD.

3) Put the LiveCD into your CDROM and boot it. When the menu appears chose the 3rd option, the one that checks the CD for errors. If it says the CD is good then let it reboot the machine and bring the LiveCD menu back up.

4) Chose the FIRST option, run Kubuntu from the CDROM as a LiveCD WITHOUT installing anything to your hard drive. Note that while running in the LiveCD mode your Win7 installation is NOT running. Aso, while running in the LiveCD mode, Kubuntu will be slower than it would be if it were running from your hard drive. HOWEVER, running Kubuntu as a LiveCD will let you test your network connections, your audio system, your video system, mounting USB sticks, your web camera, etc, to see how your hardware works with Kubuntu BEFORE you install it. Depending on how much RAM you have, you can also run KPackageKit and download some apps and test them, if you have a network connection. (2 or 3 GB will allow this).

5) IF you are happy with the way Kubuntu is running as a LiveCD then you must prepare your Win7 HD as Snowhog suggested. One way is to use Win7's HD management tool to squeeze some space out of the HD for Kubuntu. Kubuntu itself will take about 3GB, depending on how many apps you end up installing. You will need an additional 5 to 10 GB minimum for storage space for future needs. So, as a minimum, I recommend at least 15 GB be parted out for Kubuntu. If you have 2 GB or RAM or more you probably won't need a swap partition. I have 3GB of RAM and a 3GB swap. I have never seen the swap partition used. (I gave my entire 250 GB HD to Kubuntu as an EXT4 file system.) The Linux repartitioning application, "GParted" is good with versions of Windows prior to Win7, but I have no experience with Win7. That's why I recommend using Win7 to repartition the HD.

6) Rebooting the LiveCD you will find, when the KDE4 desktop appears, an icon on the desktop folder called "Install Kubuntu". Click it. Answer the questions about your name, password, timezone, keyboard, etc... When it comes to the question of where you want to install Kubuntu you will be given three options:
              a) the whole HD
              b) the unused partition (which should be the partition you freed up.
              c) manually assign Kubuntu to install on a partition.

Try b. If you are not comfortable you can click the "Back" button and try c. If you are not comfortable with c then cancel the whole operation before you write anything to the HD, come back here and discuss your concerns.

thank you for your excellent answer! I will learn and apply what you said...!

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr
                You can boot an iso directly with grub-pc.

http://rww.dreamwidth.org/3100.html

I doubt seriously anyone less than a very experienced usr could get it done well enought to install from, but it's a seriously cool idea...
                thank you for your advice! I've read that page above,, what a good idea! thank you again!

Comment

Working...
                X