Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[SOLVED] Delete User and Password on startup???

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Delete User and Password on startup???

It's time to pass my netbook along, and I would like to delete my user name and password on the startup screen, so that the computer will go directly from the Grub menu to a running desktop.

Also... will doing this also delete my root password from KDE Wallet?? And Synaptic

Can anyone offer the instructions I need to do these tasks, or provide a link to the instructions I need??

TIA
    Bob

Re: Delete User and Password on startup

From the menu -- Settings --> System Settings.

From "Common Appearance and Behavior" chose the first Icon, "Account Details" choose the KWallet icon and disable it. Apply.

Navigate back to the System Settings main page and choose the bottom row, "System Administration" and the first icon on that row, "User Management". Choose your account (assuming it was the first or admin account). Change the name to "anyone" and set the password to "anyone", and be sure the home directory is /home/anyone. Test the change by logging out and logging back in as anyone. If things went well then take the fourth Icon in the "System Administration", "Login Screen". Chose the option to automatically log "anyone" in.

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

What exactly are you trying to achieve?

If your goal is to only have the system automatically log in a particular user, go into the "Convenience" settings of the log in manager to change that.

If you wish to remove your user completely, set-up a new user with admin access and then log in as that user and delete your entire account and home.

If you wish to remain as a user, but not appear in the log in screen, set your user as "Hidden" in the log in manager.

Please Read Me

Comment

Graygeek... I think I followed your instructions carefully, although the icons were not exactly as you described, and all did not go well.

Now I cannot log in at all... either under the old User/password or the new one... Anyone.

the system tells me... "cannot enter home directory. Using /" and when I click OK on that message, I get another box that says 'Kstartupconfig4 does not exist or fails. The error code is 3. Check..." I can't see what to check because the box is not big enough and the text is cut off... and I can't enlarge the box.

Any suggestions to save the situation, or do I just install a new version and start all over

Bob

Comment

Hold the shift key down while booting up to get the Grub menu. Select the second option. A console menu will appear. Select "root with Internet". When it comes up you will have a root console with full rights. You can use "startx" or "startkde" to start KDE.

Use the User Management in System settings to delete all existing users and their home directories and create a new user and home directory and give him/her admin rights. (anyone with a password of anyone).
          In the secondary groups add
          adm
          cdrom
          sudo
          dip
          plugdev
          lpadmin
          sambashare

Under privileges check
          Access system logs
          use CD-ROM and DVD drives
          Administer the system
          Acess external storeage devices

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

this is not related to the question, but would you mention the name of the netbook and how Ubu ended up on it?

woodsmoke
            sigpic
            Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

GreyGeek Once again, my sincere thanks!

This time I did exactly what you said, instead of what I thought you said, and I'm back in business.

Woodsmoke:
              The netbook is an Acer Aspire One, with the 8GB solid-state drive and a 4 GB SD card in the slot provided.

I loaded Kubuntu from an external CD drive and it's working just fine.

Bob

Comment

Working...
              X