This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sudo pw requested 4 times at boot

This is a new reinstallation of Lucid and I'm still customizing it. I do have 4 data partitions (on three separate hard disks) that I have set to mount automatically at boot, so my first guess was that sudo was needed to mount them. (I have used Mountmanager to allow "everyone," rather than "Only Administrator," to mount them but that doesn't stick --- every time I boot and check MM it's back to "Only Administrator.")

Tonight I decided to check "cancel" instead of entering my sudo PW (4 times)... and the partitions/disks are mounted and readable/writable anyway! So I wonder what those sudo PW requests were for. Anyone have suggestions?

EDIT: The actual message is approximately "Sudo password is requested to use this device." What "devices"?
    -- Werdigo49
    Registered Linux User #291592
    Kubuntu Xenial Xerus (16.04)

Re: Sudo pw requested 4 times at boot

I've never used mount manager, but it sounds like that's the problem. It is still pre-version 1 so maybe it's not ready to be used with 11.04.

I would suggest removing mount manager and mounting your hard drives the "old-fashioned" way using fstab.

Please Read Me

Comment

Thanks. I'll give it a try. (I really miss "Disks and Filesystems" from KDE 3.5, though. MountManager was recommended as a substitute.) "Old-fashioned" is right! I don't think I've edited a fstab since mounting an external 100-meg Zip drive in Corel Linux!
      -- Werdigo49

Comment

No success yet --- still having to hit 4 "cancel"'s to get rid of these mysterious PW requests (mysterious to me, at least). Here's my /etc/fstab, with some of the UUID's omitted:

/dev/fd0 /media/floppy0 vfat noauto 0 0
        UUID=a7449----69b /media/One_Reiserfs reiserfs defaults 0 1
        UUID=616----c6 /media/Two_Ext4 ext4 defaults 0 0
        UUID=a5d----63 / ext4 defaults 0 0
        UUID=ff33----f9 swap swap sw 0 0
        UUID=095fb---4a /home reiserfs defaults 0 2
        UUID=e7b---50c /media/disk-1 reiserfs defaults 0 0
        UUID=e7a---20 /media/disk reiserfs defaults 0 0

The first two are 500G partitions on a 2T SATA internal drive ("One_Reiserfs" and "Two_Ext4"). The next three are my primary OS drive (boot (ext4), swap, and /home (reiserfs)). The last two are reiserfs data partitions ("disk-1" and "disk") on an internal IDE 250G hard drive.

All four backup data partitions (the first and last two on this list) are mounted at boot. I don't KNOW that the 4 PW requests are for mounting these; I'm just going by the coincidence that there are 4 partitions and 4 PW requests.

I have removed "mountmanager" to no apparent effect.

I also have a FAT32-formatted "My Passport" external USB drive that is automounted at boot (as /media/My Passport). Unplugging it and restarting does not change the number of password requests.

Does this additional information suggest anything?
        -- Werdigo49

Comment

I assume you're getting these messages after you log in?

Try going to System Settings > Startup and Shutdown > Session Management and under "On Login" tic "Start with an empty session"

If that doesn't change anything, look at the output of dmesg.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr
            I assume you're getting these messages after you log in?

Try going to System Settings > Startup and Shutdown > Session Management and under "On Login" tic "Start with an empty session"

If that doesn't change anything, look at the output of dmesg.

Yes, the messages pop up after my KDE desktop has appeared. I have this personal home computer set for password-less login.

I disconnected all extra drives, and on restart had to hit "S" a few times (to "skip" the undetected drives) but there were NO PW requests. When I powered down and reconnected the drives, the 4 PW requests were back. I then tried the "empty session," but no change.

Here's the part of dmesg that appears to deal with these disks. The 80G (sdb) is /, swap, and home; the 2T (sda) and the 250G (sdc) drives each has two partitions that are apparently leading to the PW requests:

[ 2.234522] sd 5:0:0:0: [sdb] 160836480 512-byte logical blocks: (82.3 GB/76.6 GiB)
            [ 2.234586] sd 5:0:0:0: [sdb] Write Protect is off
            [ 2.234591] sd 5:0:0:0: [sdb] Mode Sense: 00 3a 00 00
            [ 2.234809] sd 5:0:0:0: [sdb] Write cache: enabled, read cache: enabled, doesn't support DPO or FUA
            [ 2.235004] sdb:
            [ 2.235174] sd 3:0:0:0: [sda] 3907029168 512-byte logical blocks: (2.00 TB/1.81 TiB)
            [ 2.235231] sd 3:0:0:0: [sda] Write Protect is off
            [ 2.235235] sd 3:0:0:0: [sda] Mode Sense: 00 3a 00 00
            [ 2.235265] sd 3:0:0:0: [sda] Write cache: enabled, read cache: enabled, doesn't support DPO or FUA
            [ 2.235418] sda:
            [ 2.243698] scsi 5:0:1:0: Direct-Access ATA MDT MD2500JB-00R 20.0 PQ: 0 ANSI: 5
            [ 2.243901] sd 5:0:1:0: Attached scsi generic sg2 type 0
            [ 2.244298] sdb1 sdb2 sdb3
            [ 2.258660] sd 5:0:1:0: [sdc] 488397168 512-byte logical blocks: (250 GB/232 GiB)
            [ 2.259117] sd 5:0:1:0: [sdc] Write Protect is off
            [ 2.259122] sd 5:0:1:0: [sdc] Mode Sense: 00 3a 00 00
            [ 2.259156] sd 5:0:1:0: [sdc] Write cache: enabled, read cache: enabled, doesn't support DPO or FUA
            [ 2.259366] sd 5:0:0:0: [sdb] Attached SCSI disk
            [ 2.259503] sdc: sdc1 < sdc5 > sdc2
            [ 2.263655] sd 5:0:1:0: [sdc] Attached SCSI disk

Offhand, nothing jumps out at me, but there's a lot here I don't understand. Maybe I haven't even included the relevant part of dmesg.
            -- Werdigo49

Comment

Post the contents of your /etc/fstab file please.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                Post the contents of your /etc/fstab file please.
                Do you need more than what I posted four messages above?
                -- Werdigo49

Comment

Are these the two external drives that are giving you the trouble:
                  Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                  "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                    Are these the two external drives that are giving you the trouble:
                    Yes, I think those are two of the four partitions that are provoking the PW requests. (They are two partitions of an internal 2T SATA drive.)

The other two partitions for which PWs are requested are on a 250g internal IDE disk.

PS: Snowhog --- I apologize if my above reply (about /etc/fstab) seemed snippy. I greatly appreciate your willingness to offer some thoughts about this minor but irritating little issue.
                    -- Werdigo49

Comment

Working...
                    X