Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

i just finished upgrading to lucid, and now my file manager won't work. [SOLVED]

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i just finished upgrading to lucid, and now my file manager won't work. [SOLVED]

i just finished a two-day-long nightmare, upgrading from karmic to lucid. i've got most things working again, at least partially, and the important stuff (mail) is working, so that's a good thing, but i have this problem:

regardless of whether i use konqueror, dolphin or gwenview (and, yes, i have tried all three), i get this message that says "Could not start process Unable to create io-slave: klauncher said: Error loading ‘kio_file" and the file manager shows no files or directories.

fortunately, i know that they're there, otherwise i'd really be freaking out... nevertheless...

what can i do to make the file manager see my files again?
    ⇑ Hybrid Elephant
    http://www.hybridelephant.com/
    ⇓ The world's finest exotic incense

Re: i just finished upgrading to lucid, and now my file manager won't work.

An chance you launched one of those programs using "sudo" instead of "kdesudo"?

Open a terminal and type ls -Rla ~ |grep root

if you get anything other than drwxr-xr-x 11 root root 256 26.02.2011 10:50 ../ then you've found your problem.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr
      An chance you launched one of those programs using "sudo" instead of "kdesudo"?
      there is not a chance, because, while i did most of the upgrade while logged in as "root" on the terminal... from another machine, because i couldn't get a comprehensible login from the linux box itself... i didn't even know that there was a separate "kdesudo" that was different from "sudo"... also, since i actually got lucid installed on the linux box, i have used a GUI, rather than a terminal for just about everything.

however...

Open a terminal and type ls -Rla ~ |grep root

if you get anything other than drwxr-xr-x 11 root root 256 26.02.2011 10:50 ../ then you've found your problem.
      i get this:

Code:
      salamandir@Ginko:~/Documents$ ls -Rla ~ |grep root
      drwxr-xr-x 3 root    root     4096 2009-11-11 21:35 ..
      -rw-r--r-- 1 root    root     0 2011-02-25 18:42 config
      -rw-r--r-- 1 salamandir salamandir  137304 2010-10-03 17:28 marihuana-weed-with-roots-in-hell.01.jpg
      -rw-r--r-- 1 salamandir salamandir  105540 2009-12-18 20:13 marihuana-weed-with-roots-in-hell.jpg
      -rw-r--r-- 1 salamandir salamandir 232 2009-08-25 18:55 root.desktop
      -rw------- 1 root    root      64 2011-02-25 15:14 kdebugrc
      two questions:

how do i fix it?

and

why is it there in the first place?

the answer to the second question may well be "demons", and i'm prepared to accept that answer, but the first question is the one to which i need the answer.
      ⇑ Hybrid Elephant

Comment

The fix is easy, I'm guessing your username is salamandir?

so /home/salamandir is your home dir?

the command sudo chown -Rc --preserve-root salamandir:salamandir /home/salamandir/* should do it.

The "Why" is harder to figure out...

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr
          The fix is easy, I'm guessing your username is salamandir?
          how did you know?

the command sudo chown -Rc --preserve-root salamandir:salamandir /home/salamandir/* should do it.
          somehow (i think it was another round of Synaptic that did it) it works now... so i'm guessing that i don't need that any longer...

now kontact/kmail/akregator doesn't work, and it was working fine before i ran synaptic again... http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3115787.0

interesting trade-off...

The "Why" is harder to figure out...
          that's what i figured.
          ⇑ Hybrid Elephant

Comment

Working...
          X