This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: logout issue with Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid

I've this problem off and on for several releases of Kubuntu. I believe, in my case anyway, it's (very) aging hardware and the resultant compatibility "drift".

When it's completely up Kubuntu works great. I've just taken for granted that my old machine just won't do certain things very well on shutdown now.

And, yes, I've tried every one of the solutions listed above, plus few others. I still have to press the power button after shutdown. It's O.K., and besides an operating system is supposed to operate. Who cares if it doesn't power off 8)
    The next brick house on the left
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Re: logout issue with Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid

Originally posted by molotokas
      Hello,

so i decided to move to linux and add to chocking of corporate bastards,

however,

my machine is lenovo s10-3 the problem it has with linux (kubuntu 10.10) is that on logout I get a black screen and can't log in. i tried accessing kdmrc and put true by the 'terminate', but when i try to run etc/kde4/kdm/kdmrc it says that access to the file is denied.

any suggestions?
      I note you are on 10.10 - this post relates to 10.04 and is therefore possibly a different problem altogether. In your case I think the solution to your problem is to upgrade your kde version to 4.6.1 which is the latest version, which addresses the issue. For instructions see here

http://www.kubuntu.org/news/kde-sc-4.6.1

One piece of advice - once you have installed the upgrade, I recommend you open a terminal and type the following command

Code:
      sudo apt-get install plasma-desktop
      It ought to be installed, but as I expect you to be going up a couple of KDE versions it might not.

Good Luck. PS If ever you seem to get into a hole from which there is no way out, hold down the alt and sysRq keys and slowly type reisub, to do a soft reboot.

HTH

Comment

Working...
      X