X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

logout issue with Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid

I am on Kunbuntu Lucid.
    When I logout I have a blank screen and have to force the turn of with the power button of my PC.

Is anybody has an idea what to do?

Thank you in advance

Re: logout issue with Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid

i had a similar issue, but it has since been solved (from the most recent kernel upgrade) , what sort of HW are we talking about in your machine?, you can try
    [code=run in runbox (alt+f2)]sudo shutdown -P now[/code] to force the machine to shutdown when your finished with it . that will almost always work.
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

The command sudo shutdown -P now turns of the computer but does not logout to the login manager

My HW:
      CPU: Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5200 @ 2.50GHz
      GPU: nVidia Corporation G98 [GeForce 8400 GS] (rev a1)
      Audio: HDA Intel (ALC662 rev1 Analog)
      Audio: HDA Intel ()
      Audio: Generic USB Audio Device ()
      Audio: Generic USB Audio Device (USB Audio)
      Network: WLAN Interface
      Network: Loopback device Interface

Thank you for your help

Comment

Same problem here.
        I haven't similar problem before 10.04

Comment

- I have the same problem.

- Can't logout. Screen goes black. Have to reboot.
          - I created a second user, when I switch user, put in password, hit enter... screen goes black.
          - Fresh boot, try login as second user, screen goes black.

The only thing that works is the admin/install user login and account.

Comment

Look at K > System Settings > Advanced > Login Manager > Shutdown > Allow Shutdown > Local and set it to Everybody
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

same problem here but i have this problem since jaunty

Comment

One thing that you can try if logging out of kde doesn't bring up kdm login screen, is to edit /etc/kde4/kdm/kdmrc and edit the TerminateServer value to true (uncomment if commented out)
                TerminateServer=true
                This should restart the X server on logout instead of resetting.

Comment

My /etc/kde4/kdm/kdmrc contains no TerminateServer entry, and my system shuts down correctly. But my Lucid was a fresh installation, not an upgrade. Would that account for the difference?

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                    My /etc/kde4/kdm/kdmrc contains no TerminateServer entry
                    I think (but I'm not 100% on it) it should there by default (probably commented out), but the systemsettings module for changing login settings will rewrite kdmrc and omits the commented sections. If you make any changes in systemsettings, your kdmrc will not be the same (not commented settings are not changed of course)

, and my system shuts down correctly.
                    It isn't always necessary to restart the server, but it may help in case there are problems. Note that this only affects logout from kde, not shutdown (on shutdown, the X server is naturally stopped instead of resetting)

Comment

The only changes in the Login Manager I've made were to check Use themed greeter, and add an image to my user. No other changes made. As I didn't check what /etc/kde4/kdm/kdmrc looked like before I made these changes, I can't tell you what it did, or did not, contain as to TerminateServer.

I installed Lucid on 2010-05-02 (I didn't note the time I installed) and my /etc/kde4/kdm/kdmrc shows that date stamp, so the changes I made in the Login Manager where made that same day.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                        The only changes in the Login Manager I've made were to check Use themed greeter, and add an image to my user. No other changes made.
                        That's actually all it takes, I checked the lucid default kdmrc, and it has this section:
                        # Restart instead of resetting the local X-server after session exit.
                        # Use it if the server leaks memory etc.
                        # Default is false
                        #TerminateServer=true
                        The default kdmrc is 22 KiB in size (it includes a lot of comments), once you make changes in systemsettings, the comments are gone (and the file size is significantly reduced).

Comment

Yup.
                          -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1440 2010-05-02 14:32 /etc/kde4/kdm/kdmrc
                          File is smaller, and yes, it contains no comments.

Comment

Hello,

so i decided to move to linux and add to chocking of corporate bastards,

however,

my machine is lenovo s10-3 the problem it has with linux (kubuntu 10.10) is that on logout I get a black screen and can't log in. i tried accessing kdmrc and put true by the 'terminate', but when i try to run etc/kde4/kdm/kdmrc it says that access to the file is denied.

any suggestions?

Comment

The file has to be edited 'as root'. You can launch Kate (the text editor) 'as root' as follows:

Press Alt+F2 and type: kdesudo kate /etc/kde4/kdm/kdmrc
                              Type in you password when prompted and Kate will launch with /etc/kde4/kdm/kdmrc open for editing. Make the change and Save and Close Kate. Done. Now restart your PC.

Comment

Working...
                              X