X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: First load screen is corrupt!!

Hi,

I came up with a work around using uvesafb which fix more or less most of the problems mentioned in all the plymouth related thread.

http://idyllictux.wordpress.com/2010...ricted-driver/

I might have offended half of the Internet and some users here. So I don't dare post here first. Testers needed and comments are welcome before I post a more revised HowTo here.

Thanks.
    HP ProBook 4310s - ATI Radeon Mobility 4330 - pae kernel<br /><br />http://idyllictux.wordpress.com/

Comment

I have see today that they have upload a new update for plymouth. Maybe the update fix the problem.

Comment

idyllic:
        I came up with a work around using uvesafb which fix more or less most of the problems mentioned in all the plymouth related thread.

I might have offended half of the Internet and some users here. So I don't dare post here first. Testers needed and comments are welcome before I post a more revised HowTo here.

Trying this (manual mode setting / MMS ?) with the older Ati with the KMS (kernel mode setting) turned off (> Topic: Tuning Ati Radeon (xorg.conf)/kms/dri/dri2)

0) Installing v86d

1) Append (kdesudo kate /etc/default/grub)
        Code:
        video=uvesafb:mode_option=1280x1024-24,mtrr=3,scroll=ywrap
        to the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT in the /etc/default/grub

2) Append
        Code:
        uvesafb mode_option=1280x1024-24 mtrr=3 scroll=ywrap
        in the /etc/initramfs-tools/modules

3) Append
        Code:
        FRAMEBUFFER=y
        in the /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/splash

4) Updating
        Code:
        sudo update-initramfs -u
        and
        Code:
        sudo update-grub
        5) Boot

Working fine - good catch - Thank you !
        Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
        1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
        2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Originally posted by idyllic

Nice! Yes, it works well on my rig, and got me back my tty consoles.

Only one suggestion -- where you show to install v86d, you might as well go the whole way:
          Code:
          sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install v86d hwinfo
          Thanks!

Comment

I have grub 1. Do we have a how to and solution for grub1?

Comment

I have grub 1. Do we have a how to and solution for grub1?

With the Grub2:
              Code:
              GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nomodeset video=uvesafb:mode_option=1366x768-24,mtrr=3,scroll=ywrap"

The Grub Legacy / Grub1 is using the /boot/grub/menu.lst. Have you tried to append the "video=..." paremeter to the line:
              Code:
              kernel		/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-21-generic root=UUID=12345678 ro quiet splash

Links:
              > HOW TO: GRUB Methods - Toolkit
              > GRUB 2: A Guide for Users
              Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
              1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
              2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Where i have to edit this line. And i must edit and /etc/initramfs-tools/modules, /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/splash and update grub?

Comment

Originally posted by vista killer
                  Where i have to edit this line.
                  For legacy grub, the "kopt" line is found in the /boot/grub/menu.lst file. Here is the relevant piece where you need to edit:

## ## Start Default Options ##
                  ## default kernel options
                  ## default kernel options for automagic boot options
                  ## If you want special options for specific kernels use kopt_x_y_z
                  ## where x.y.z is kernel version. Minor versions can be omitted.
                  ## e.g. kopt=root=/dev/hda1 ro
                  ## kopt_2_6_8=root=/dev/hdc1 ro
                  ## kopt_2_6_8_2_686=root=/dev/hdc2 ro
                  # kopt=root=UUID=dfd5d21c-b8d7-4dd7-8d44-ac3146008354 ro quiet.
                  So the "vga=xxx" or "noacpi" or other boot option(s) will be added at the end of the red line above.

And i must edit and /etc/initramfs-tools/modules, /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/splash and ... ?
                  No, but you must run
                  Code:
                  sudo update-grub
                  after you have edited the kopt line to add the boot options that you need.

Comment

Hi,

Thanks.
                    That worked perfectly, thanks! I now have a great looking boot screen and my virtual terminals look crisper than ever, very readable.

That was the last issue I had with 10.04, its pretty much perfect for me now (Kontact all fixed now to). Best release ever.

Comment

Hello everybody. I added the repository and upgraded, all via kpackagemanager , rebooted and Alessandro's packages did the trick. now plymouth looks nice. I am using Kubuntu(64bit) on amd64x2 , motherboard asrock withonboard NVidia graphics. grazie. ale.

Comment

They have just upload a fix to proposed repositories

"Accepted kubuntu-default-settings into lucid-proposed, the package will
                        build now and be available in a few hours. Please test and give feedback
                        here. See https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Testing/EnableProposed for
                        documentation how to enable and use -proposed. Thank you in advance!"

I have fix the problem with the guide here. How can i go back to the old settings and remove uvesafb. What i have to do?

Comment

Originally posted by abalone
                          It's not corrupt; it's just a very low resolution with a very low colour depth. You could try this:

1) Using sudo/kdesudo, edit the file /etc/default/grub:
                          If necessary, comment out the line GRUB_TERMINAL=console by prepending a # character.
                          If necessary, un-comment the GRUB_GFXMODE=640x480 line.
                          Change it to some appropriate resolution, for example: GRUB_GFXMODE=1024x768

2) Using sudo/kdesudo, edit the file /etc/grub.d/00_header:
                          In line 103, before insmod gfxterm, insert/edit:
                          set gfxmode=${GRUB_GFXMODE}
                          set gfxpayload=keep

3) Run sudo update-grub.

4) Don't blame me if it goes wrong.

You could give it a try before making any changes: when booting your machine, press e on your chosen GRUB menu entry and insert gfxpayload=1024x768 (as line 3, I was told somewhere around here; and of course using whatever resolution you desire and your hardware supports).
                          Thanks, that saved my day ^^

Was very disappointed at 1st, the resolution & colours degraded after I installed the NVIDIA drivers (GeForce 8800 GT)

Thanks again ; )

Comment

Originally posted by azenz
                            What's still missing now is preventing X from breaking with every kernel update.
                            Do you have DKMS installed, it's supposed to redo your kernel video module when you upgrade your kernel so that X can work off the bat.

Comment

Hi,

Thanks.
                              Thank you!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X