X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First load screen is corrupt!!

Hi All,

I upgraded my Kubuntu 9.10 to Lucid few weeks ago.
    After upgrade my first screen after grub is like this:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

How to fix this??

System
    X64 AMD
    Nvidia GeForce 8500 GT
    Kubuntu User # 26056<br />Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3 AMD Athlon II X2 250 4Gb Ram 1x40Gb SSd Hdd +500gb Home&nbsp; Nvidia Gf8500Gt <br />AcerAspireOne A150

Re: First load screen is corrupt!!

I have the same problem.

Comment

It's not corrupt; it's just a very low resolution with a very low colour depth. You could try this:

1) Using sudo/kdesudo, edit the file /etc/default/grub:
      If necessary, comment out the line GRUB_TERMINAL=console by prepending a # character.
      If necessary, un-comment the GRUB_GFXMODE=640x480 line.
      Change it to some appropriate resolution, for example: GRUB_GFXMODE=1024x768

2) Using sudo/kdesudo, edit the file /etc/grub.d/00_header:
      In line 103, before insmod gfxterm, insert/edit:
      set gfxmode=${GRUB_GFXMODE}
      set gfxpayload=keep

3) Run sudo update-grub.

4) Don't blame me if it goes wrong.

You could give it a try before making any changes: when booting your machine, press e on your chosen GRUB menu entry and insert gfxpayload=1024x768 (as line 3, I was told somewhere around here; and of course using whatever resolution you desire and your hardware supports).

Comment

Hi abalone,

May I know what is your framebuffer from `cat /proc/fb` ?

I have an ATI card and I only can use vga16fb (give low resolution boot) and efi (high resolution boot but logo and bottom areas are pixelated and corrupted).

Regards,
        HP ProBook 4310s - ATI Radeon Mobility 4330 - pae kernel<br /><br />http://idyllictux.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by idyllic
          Hi abalone,

May I know what is your framebuffer from `cat /proc/fb` ?
          0 EFI VGA

That doesn't really tell me anything, to be honest.

I set GRUB/console resolution (GRUB_GFXMODE/gfxpayload) back to 640x480 because the nvidia driver/X would often fail to low graphics mode otherwise. However, it's 32 bit colour, the boot splash looks fine (if low-res), and I have graphics in w3m (console browser). Actually, I set it to 640x480x32 but I'm not sure the x32 is required.

Edit: Actually... it now did the low graphics thing with 640x480 too so I don't know anymore how to reliably prevent it while still using a non-text-only console (and non-"corrupt" splash image) .

I only hope some nvidia driver or Xorg update will fix this in the future.

Comment

Is very tricky to do that edit tou those files. Can we remove plymouth and replace it with the old splash screen?>

Comment

Sure would be nice to be able to just use a vga=whatever option again and be all set, without nvidia getting hiccups.

Comment

Originally posted by vista killer
                Can we remove plymouth and replace it with the old splash screen?>
                Here's most of what there is to know about plymouth:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...5976#msg225976

I see mention of the low-res screen thing -- apparently it's a known issue. I don't see anything that suggests you can "go back" to the previous splash system, on 10.04. Plymouth is a lot more than just a splash screen, after all.

I'm following zenarcher's advice here: http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3110848.0

The mode that works best on my Samsung SyncMaster 1100 is:

GRUB_GFXMODE=1024x768x32

I tried 1600x1200 and 1280x1024, which both work for plymouth screens, but for some reason they goof up the tty console text -- I can't tell if it's "black on black" or if the text is in the air somewhere to the left of my real screen, but all I see is black when I do Ctl-Alt-F1.

Comment

It wooooorked!!!! Finally.

After trying the advice here: http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3110848.0, which didn't work, I manually added the line gfxpayload=1920x1200 (my screen res) to the grub.cfg (note: manually editing this file is not recommended but I was desperate enough and tried it out first by using the 'e' edit option when in the grub menu), and the Kubuntu splash is now fine!

What's still missing now is preventing X from breaking with every kernel update.

Comment

Originally posted by abalone
                    It's not corrupt; it's just a very low resolution with a very low colour depth. You could try this:

1) Using sudo/kdesudo, edit the file /etc/default/grub:
                    If necessary, comment out the line GRUB_TERMINAL=console by prepending a # character.
                    If necessary, un-comment the GRUB_GFXMODE=640x480 line.
                    Change it to some appropriate resolution, for example: GRUB_GFXMODE=1024x768

2) Using sudo/kdesudo, edit the file /etc/grub/00_header:
                    set gfxpayload=keep

3) Run sudo update-grub.

4) Don't blame me if it goes wrong.

You could give it a try before making any changes: when booting your machine, press e on your chosen GRUB menu entry and insert gfxpayload=1024x768 (as line 3, I was told somewhere around here; and of course using whatever resolution you desire and your hardware supports).
                    Thank you for the help, worked for me too.

But the screen stays long time black until playmouth loads and as soon as it loads goes to pwd login screen.
                    It actually does not works like white dots filling one after other.

Kubuntu User # 26056<br />Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3 AMD Athlon II X2 250 4Gb Ram 1x40Gb SSd Hdd +500gb Home&nbsp; Nvidia Gf8500Gt <br />AcerAspireOne A150

Comment

I does stay black for a while, but I also get the dots. *shrug* Perhaps your 'puter boots faster.

Comment

Yes system boots up very quickly.

Meanwhile
                        Originally posted by abalone
                        2) Using sudo/kdesudo, edit the file /etc/grub/00_header:
                        set gfxpayload=keep
                        A small mismatch with my system here

Using sudo/kdesudo, edit the file /etc/grub/00_header:

Here /etc/grub/00_header shuld be /etc/grub.d/00_header.

Comment

You're right! Sorry. I'll fix it.

Comment

A fix about this bug is also released on Launchpad by Alessandro.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...gs/+bug/551290

You can test and report the result

Testers are needed please check Launchpad and report the results.

Comment

I installed the fix posted on Launchpad. It looks like it's basically a cleaned-up graphic that doesn't degrade as horribly in 16-colour (?) 640x480 as the original boot splash graphic did.

I prefer the other workaround because it gives me a higher-resolution graphics-capable console. (That's what I'm really after - I don't normally use splash screens.)

Comment

Working...
                              X