This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 10.04LTS persmission problem on work network

We have a office network running Ubuntu 10.04 Server and 28 desk tops. We have been using Windows of various stripes for years but last year switched to Ubuntu and have had great success with it. I never learned much about supporting the system because after configuring the server, installing Samba all the desk tops have worked by having them configure themselves during installation. The two are sort of an experiment, I tried Kubuntu 10.04 because the two users love the pretty UI.
    Only problem is that neither can write to the common server directory that we all use. I have changed the workgroup to ours(I did not need to do that in Ubuntu) but no help. Both can see the workgroup and all the connected desktops and Samba shares but saving a file returns a warning "Local files only"

What differences between Ubuntu and Kubuntu would influence this, and can anyone point me to information about how to deal with this?

Re: Kubuntu 10.04LTS persmission problem on work network

I'm not a samba expert, but I do use it. Sounds like you're bumping into a permission issue which in this case could be either the samba setup on the server or the way your mounting/accessing the samba shares on the desktop side.

Start with the server and look at the file /etc/samba/smb.conf. Scroll down to the [shared] and look at your settings. Here's mine:

path = /mnt/shared
    comment = Shared Files
    browsable = yes
    public = yes
    writable = yes
    inherit permissions = 0755
    create mask = 0755
    security mask = 0755
    guest ok = yes

Next on your desktops, open System Settings > File Sharing and use a valid username and password.

Most likely, it's a permission setting on the server side. I use a group called "shared" and make sure all my users are members of that group.

Please Read Me

Comment

Thank you for the reply and suggestions. I did look at the server and noted the settings, the access settings are the same. The desk top is surely where the problem lies since everything in the office works with default settings. I tried comparing the Ubuntu 10.04 box settings and the defaults are the same as far as I have determined.
      I'll keep at it since the two users of Kubuntu really like the user interface more than Windows and Ubuntu.

Comment

The permissions thing is difficult when using samba via dolphin.

One other choice you have - since your server in linux, you could install and setup nfs-kernel-server on the server side and nfs-common on the clients and setup file sharing through nfs.

Then you can mount the nfs shares in fstab.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
        X