Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Connecting to wireless from the command line?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Connecting to wireless from the command line?

Hey, I've got what I think is a pretty simple question.

What do I need to do to connect to wireless networks from the command line? In other distros I've just need to tpye
    Code:
    ifconfig wlan0 up
    iwconfig wlan0 essid ServiceSetIdentifier
    dhclient wlan0
    When I use iwconfig after entering in the essid, it shows me that I'm not connect to a router and that I don't have an ipv6 address. Is there some other step I need to take to connect?
    I should state I don't need new drivers, it is an atheros chip set and I can connect with the GUI tool just fine. I just prefer to use the command line.

Re: Connecting to wireless from the command line?

I think unless your wireless is set up in /etc/network/interfaces you'll have to type more at the CLI.

Knetworkmanager and wicd keep their settings elsewhere...

Please Read Me

Comment

Being able to set up the wireless from the command line is one reason why I switched to wicd. There are at least FIVE wicd files in the repository. One of them is wicd-curses. Run it and you have a console based gui that you can use to scan for wireless and connect to which ever you want essentially using the same technique as the graphical wicd connection manager.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Nice tip GG!

Please Read Me

Comment

It's a nice feature of wicd! 8)
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
          X