This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 10.04 file sharing

I'm running Lucid on a desktop and a laptop, both of which are connected to the internet through a wireless router. I want to set up file sharing between the two. Security is not an issue. I've read about zeroconf networking and it sounds like just what I'm looking for. I need easy here.

When I go to System Settings> Network Settings> Service Discovery it is all blank. I have installed Avahi and it displays the existence of the other machine (in both directions) but there is no option to connect or browse. Most of the time I can see both computers in Dolphin or Konqueror, and even my wife's desktop when it is on, but never able to open any of the connections.

I installed Kepas and behold, it successfully sends files from one machine to the other, but this still doesn't allow me to browse folders between the two machines. Most all of the threads I've seen are very old and not specific to Lucid and KDE. Looks like Lucid is all set up for this to be easy, so I must be missing something simple.

Re: Kubuntu 10.04 file sharing

Have you read Network sharing
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Yes, I have read that and when I select Service Discovery, it opens a blank GUI page, with the option to ADD, REMOVE, MOVE UP, MOVE DOWN, but nothing shown on the list. Then there's a blank dialog box for the ADD, but I have no idea what to add. That pretty much brings me to a halt.

Comment

You might find this networking guide useful.

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3113574.0

It explains, several ways to connect/share your computers.

Comment

If you're in a strictly linux environment, NFS is your best choice.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
          X