X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NAS server and fstab

Hello,
    Running a number of computers using Ubuntu 10.04 and Kubuntu 10.04 connecting using NFS.

I have a Synology DS209 NAS server which I access from a mixed bunch of computers. An Ubuntu desktop mounts the device on boot perfectly with the fstab entry:
    192.168.72.11:/volume1/WINDATA /media/netserver nfs rsize=8192,wsize=8192,timeo=14,intr

My Kubuntu desktop, using exactly the same fstab entry, will not mount the share on boot, but if I use 'sudo mount -a' from a terminal after bootup and refresh the folder /media/netserver everything is there. What could be causing this?

Thanks

Re: NAS server and fstab

A had a lot of trouble getting Kubuntu 9.10 to mount my nfs shares at boot but it all went away with 10.04. I think is was related to the network not starting before the mounts.

The first thing I'd try is increasing the timeo.

I hate to suggest a hack, but you could re-issue the mount command during boot.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr
      A had a lot of trouble getting Kubuntu 9.10 to mount my nfs shares at boot but it all went away with 10.04. I think is was related to the network not starting before the mounts.

The first thing I'd try is increasing the timeo.

I hate to suggest a hack, but you could re-issue the mount command during boot.
      Thanks for the response. I've tried increasing timeo but no improvement.

I agree that it appears to be a problem of the network not being up, but I don't know why.
      The boot.log tells me:
      mount.nfs: DNS resolution failed for 192.168.72.11: Name or service not known
      mountall: mount /media/netserver [729] terminated with status 32
      mount.nfs: DNS resolution failed for 192.168.72.11: Name or service not known
      mountall: mount /media/netserver [755] terminated with status 32

It's OK on a laptop running 10.04 but not a desktop. I've removed Network Manager and replaced with WICD - still no difference. There must be some way of delaying the initiation of the mount until the Network is up ?

Comment

Put the mount command in your /etc/rc.local and it should work.
        Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Are you using a wireless connection?

If so, you'll have to wait until the wireless connects before the nfs shares will mount - obviously.

If you're wired: Did you upgrade from Karmic or do a new install?

It's possible rebuilding your initramfs will fix it.

I had this issue with Karmic but it changed every time the kernel changed. First it worked fine, then it didn't work at all, then it was intermittent, finally switching to Lucid on a clean install and I haven't had it come back (yet!).

I never did chase it down completely.

What is the output of

grep -Hi nfs /var/log/messages /var/log/daemon.log

Last but not least: Try this post http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1329355

Please Read Me

Comment

Ok, after mucking around with this problem today, a bit of research, and adding "_netdev" to the options in your line in fstab, it waits until the network is up before mounting the share.
            Works perfectly for me
            eg:
            //server/directory /mnt/server cifs credentials=/home/user/credential.file,uid=user,gid=group,_netdev 0 0

Comment

Working...
            X