X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mic doesn't work with Logitec C250 webcam

Hi,

I am at a loss how to get the mike of my Logitec C250 webcam working.
    When I make a test call in Skype I do not hear back my own voice.

Am using Kubuntu 9.04.
    Checked the device with lsusb, it is found with the ID 046d:0804
    Which is as it should be, because the video works with cheese and in Skype as well (test).

I check on the sound devices in KMix: under File it shows the tab 'USB Device 0x46d:0x804'. The tab displays a Mic icon, but I cannot turn up the volume. The slider won't budge from the bottom position.

Can anyone tell me what is wrong and how to solve this?
    Thanks,
    Theo

Re: Mic doesn't work with Logitec C250 webcam

check system settings-> multimedia (iirc its been a long time since i ran 9.04, a few settings lables have changed), also hopefully your aware you posted this in the 10.04 section.

you may have to set that device as default for communication. iirc i have the same camera but i have never used the mic on it i just use a desktop mic i already have pluged in (that might be the ezer solution btw).
    either way good luck. it seams sound in can be a tad cumbersome to set up from time to time. some places to look would be using the cli program "alsamixer" or its gui version "alsamixergui" you should be able to set selectsion there. for mics and raise the volumes. also check the kmixer mixer and be sure its correct. it also could be a skype issue so check the settings there to. (the mic could also just not be there at all and mistakenly showing up) , you might want to also try this w/ a 10.10 live cd and see if it has improved at all.
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

In kmix mixer window, with your camera plugged in there should be a tab labeled "USB" and some device numbers. Click this tab, check "Capture" and push the slider to the top.

Please Read Me

Comment

@sithlord48:
        I did all that, like raising mic volume in alsamixer.
        Good idea, to try with a 10.10 live CD

@oshunluvr:
        That's the problem, the volume slider at the mike in the USD tab won't budge, with or without Capture checked.

Thanks to you both,
        Theo

Comment

Maybe try to install Pulse Audio Volume Control and see if you can enable it from there?

Comment

Originally posted by lmilano
            Maybe try to install Pulse Audio Volume Control and see if you can enable it from there?
            remember he's using 9.04 b before pulse was added. (otherwise that was also a thought i had.)
            Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
            (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Oh, sorry, it was posted under 10.04, I got confused ... hopefully this is just a typo? For hardware suppoert, newer (software) is always better

Comment

Open a konsole and issue
                sudo alsamixer

If you see the PCM and/or Digital colums with an "MM" instead of "00" at their base then arrow over to them and press the "M" key to turn them on, then the up arrow to run them up to the red. Check and set the other controls as well.
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Hi friends, thanks for all your suggestions, but so far no success.

The computer with Kubuntu 9.04 is my wife's - she uses Skype a lot.
                  On my own laptop with Ubuntu 10.04 the mike works fine with Skype. Until now my wife borrows my laptop everytime she wants to Skype!

So as a last resort I installed Ubuntu 10.04 on my wife's computer too; and still the mike test in Skype works out negative. Yet the camera works fine.

Could it be a hardware problem? My laptop is a Compaq. My wife uses a local brand - Advance - assembled in Indonesia.

Theo

Comment

Oh, can you please try my suggestion above to install and test with the Pulse Audio Volume Control application? Who knows, it _might_ help! Are you sure your wife's laptop has an internal mic? Another idea that comes to mind is to get a headset with a microphone for her lappie. There are some very inexpensive headset (and they are a lot better for skype anyways)

Comment

Well, there is one other setting that could be the problem. In configuring KMixer be sure to add the control called "Input source" (it usually has a question mark icon). When you open KMixer control panel there will be a label, "Input Source" above a drop down combo box. There may be two options in that box: "Mic" and "Front Mic". The "Mic" is for the internal mic and "Front Mic" is for the mic you plug into the mic jack.

Also, on the sound configuration in Skype you should try the other options (apply each change before you make a test call), especially one with "hw(0,0)" in the name.

Another thing I occasionally do is install Audacity, and use it to test and set the recording input settings. Usually, if you get it working in Audacity it will work everywhere else.
                      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                      X