Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Argh! Video but no sound from webcam on skype????

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Argh! Video but no sound from webcam on skype????

Arghhhh!!!!

I got a link for a cheap but serviceable webcam from little brother, that he'd just bought for another little brother.

It wasn't until the package arrived that it even occurred to me to wonder about a linux driver! (Probably because I'm using mac for my unix platform for most things these days . . . [no, I still don't have a darkside, err, ms box!])

Anyway, I was delighted to find out that I plugged the camera in, and it just plain worked with skype (it's only purpose).

Mrs. hawk came home,, and I set her up, and we found we had no sound from her mic!

Huh? the picture is easy, but not the mic?

This is critical, as it's all about chatting to the very young grandchildren who have moved across the country

For the mic to not be working, I must be missing something very, very basic. This is a Toshiba Satellite L305.

Help!
    Noone else may have these opinions without paying my retainer

Re: Argh! Video but no sound from webcam on skype?

Did you open KMixer and raise the volume level on the mic and/or the mic boost?

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I don't see a separate mic volume in kmix, but I've turned mic boost and digital to 100%
      Noone else may have these opinions without paying my retainer

Comment

When you configure your channels in KMixer do you see a mic icon in the left panel? If so, drag it to the right panel and drop in the position you want it to appear.

If you don't see a mic icon then open a Konsole and issue

sudo alsamixer

and locate the mic slider and run it up till you hear your voice feeding back to you, then back a down till you don't.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

You may also need to play with the "Input Source" tabs on the right side of the kmix window

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
          X