This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Obtaining extended ink information requires using a raw device" - escputil

Hi, I've got an Epson DX4400 All in One. Everything works on it, the scanner works (with the Epson drivers) and the printer works with the gutenprint drivers.

The only thing I can't do is monitor the ink level. As it's got 4 cartridges that's a bit of a problem. I have installes escputil and a front-end, stylus toolbox. However, stylus toolbox fails because of read/write issues to /dev/usb/lp0 even when run as root. And whenever I try escputil via the command line I get the error message in the title.

Escputil is stated to work with all Epson printers that work with the Gutenprint drivers so I suspect that if I can only connect to the printer it may work. For further info, the output of lsusb is as follows

Code:
    Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 004 Device 003: ID 04b8:083f Seiko Epson Corp. Stylus DX4450
    Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Any pointers will be most welcome!

Thanks

ian

Re: "Obtaining extended ink information requires using a raw device" - escputil

This looks on topic

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=642524

Please Read Me

Comment

Arthur Stennett, Dell Optiplex 330, Duo Intel 1.6GHz CPU, 4 GBs Ram. Using Epson SX215.
      I have had problems in the past with Epson Ink levels. I had Kubuntu 11.04 and was able to use ESCPUTIL on the command line with sudo.
      I used "sudo escputil -i -r /dev/usblp0" for the ink level, with great results. I have just done a fresh install of Kubuntu 12.04, and this command no longer works. BUT, I remembered an alternative that did not work for 11.04. I then tried "sudo escputil -i -r /dev/usb/lp0" and it works again with 12.04.
      Hope this helps,
      Arthur

Comment

Arthur,
        thank you very much for that post.
        woodsmoke
        sigpic
        Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Thanks, Arthur. It helped me too. Does anybody know, it there is a GUI for this, like HP has for their hplip?
          Greetings from Scotland's best holiday island – The Isle of Arran
          I keep fighting for an independent Scotland without any nuclear weapons. If the Englanders want them, they can host them. We do not.

Comment

Working...
          X