This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Microphone on skype

Hello, its been 6 month I use kubuntu instead of windows and everything is ok except skype, I miss it. My microphone is working, on kubuntu when I say something in the microphone I can hear it back in my speakers. But on skype when I speak, nobody can hear me. I modified many stuff in the HDA Intel panel but still nothing.
    I dont have any other idea .. that is why Im asking you if you can tell me where to search!

swan
    Attached Files

Re: Microphone on skype

The sound settings for Skype are IN Skype and NOT in the computer sound settings. Go Skype>S button (bottom left)>Options>Sound Devices.

Skype for me has changed over a period of time
    - first I had to change the settings to the option with "hw" in it
    - second I could use a USB Internet phone
    - third it seemed not to work with USB
    - fourth it seemed to be good at detecting the sound from the sound card and I had to use a headset

You need to experiment with the settings to meet your particular needs and try test calls.

You do not say (?) what particular way you are trying to use Skype. I would recommend a headset plugged into your sound in and out.
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

oh, I'm afraid I have tested all the setting inside skype for the microphone ....

I have a headset sehnheiser with a microphone plugged by jack to the out and in of the sound card from the mother board.

is there any other recorder in kubuntu to test if the microphone is working on my os ?

Comment

Actually, if you have your mic plugged in and configured, you can hear it through your speakers.

To get skype working, I had to:
        • In Skype setup under Sound Devices, unclick "Allow Skype to automatically adjust my mixer levels"
        • Raise digital volume
        • Activate the Capture channels and raise volume
        • Select the correct input source (mic, front mic and/or line)
        • Raise mic boost one notch (too much will cause feedback)
        [/list]

Then I was able to hear myself on the Skype test call and I made a voice call just to test it and it worked.

Please Read Me

Comment

I got it to work without PulseAudio. Here are some tops:

Open up KMixer and choose "Settings/Configure Channels" add all mic, mic boost etc and most important "digital".

Firts make sure that your mic is working by unselecting "Mute". If you can't hear yourself then try another mic, mic front ...

Make sure the capture is cheked and that the right source is selected for the capture.

Turn up the "Digital".

Now Skype worked with default inout setting. I unchecked the !"Allow Skype to ..."

I guess I now have problems running Flash, Spotify etc with Skype since they will steal the sound resources. I got them all to work together under PulseAudio under Ubuntu but wnated to see if I could mamange wothout it on my Kubuntu machine.

Kubuntu

Comment

(Sorry to burst in. Aren't there any laptops with hardware-mixed sound...? You can't very well plug a PCI card into a laptop, and Intel HDA seems to be nothing but trouble, going by the *buntu forums. Even my VIA on-board sound could handle up to five apps playing sound before I had to explicitly reconfigure for software-mixing through virtual ALSA devices.)

Comment

there is no digital in my mixer.....:S

Comment

In the OP graphic of the KMixer window there IS a "Digital" and it is at 0. The OP needs to slide the "Digital" slider to 95% or higher.

@colix:
                Open a Konsole and run
                sudo alsamixer
                Make sure your audio device is selected. Right-arrow to the far right and see if a "Digital" slider exists. IF it does, then Up-arrow it to 95% or higher. Close the app.

Open KMixer and select the "Configure Channels" option. You should see a "Digital" line in the left panel. Drag it to the right panel and release it in the position you want it to display. Close the configuration app.
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                X