This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Older laptop (SOLVED)

I have a 32 bit Acer laptop that I'm using to try and convince my wife to use Kubuntu (any Linux). I installed Kubuntu 10.4 and bought her a brand new Acer H213H monitor. It will do 1920x1080 resolution and is 16:9 ratio. However, system settings will not keep the 1920x1080 setting. On a restart or shutdown it reverts to a much lower resolution. How do I get the system to recognize the monitor is attached and use the higher resolution? This is very frustrating and driving her away from anything to do with Linux. It is attached as VGA1 and the internal monitor is off as the lid is shut.
    An old mainframer trying to get modern in his retirement.

Re: Older laptop

Several different ways to do this.

You can create and edit an xorg.conf file or enter the xrandr commands in a system script, like rc.local

Please Read Me

Comment

For a person who is somewhat literate in Linux, but not a big time techie could you point me to an example of what I might need to code in an xorg.conf and where I would place it?

TIA

Comment

if you installed the nvidia or ati video driver(proprietary) then you will have to set the res in the respective setting program (as root)
        run kdesudo nvidia-settings (for nvidia)
        run kdesudo amdcccle (for ati)

if you have not installed one of the proprietary drivers then before you go messing w/o your xorg.conf try running the display settings as root with this command.
        [code=alt+f2 for run box]
        kdesudo kcmshell4 display[/code]
        it might just make the setting stick since you will be setting them as root , good luck.
        Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
        (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

The xorg.conf file belongs in /etc/X11/

The easiest ways to make one are:

1. Search the internet - find someone that has your laptop or at least the same video card and has posted their xorg.conf. You'd be surprised how often that works.

2. You can generate a new xorg.conf file on your system by switching to a text console, stopping xorg, issuing the command, restarting X.

Here's the keyboard entries (in bold)

from the Desktop > CRTL-ALT-F1
          then type > sudo Xorg -configure
          finally > sudo service kdm start

This should give you a working xorg file. Then you can edit it to get what you want out of it. If you're lucky enough to have a resent nvidia video card likely the program nvidia-settings will do all you need.

3. If you know the direct xrandr command to correctly setup your monitor, you can execute it at each bootup automatically.

4. You can post more details about your setup so others can help. At a minimum: exact model of laptop and video card including amount of video ram, exact specs of the monitors - which means scan freqs. and native resolution, and what exactly you want to accomplish i.e. which monitor will be primary, will the laptop be stationary or mobile, should both screens have the same or different functions...etc.

There is an Xorg specific log file you should start getting familiar with (at least until you're all setup) is /var/log/Xorg.0.log. View it and take a little time to read it. It will tell you what's wrong and what is being set. You should review it between every change until things are right. Also, try booting up with the external monitor on and connected if you haven't yet.

I switched my wife over to linux years ago and she would never go back. Tell your wife it's faster, no virus or spyware software required, it's more secure against hackers, and the kids won't be able to log on it and play games!

Please Read Me

Comment

Here is what finally worked. The idea started from the referenced url and then I added the mode setting. This is in a file called 45custom_xrandr-settings. It's in /etc/X11/Xsession.d and it's executable. This works for an Intel 945GM based system. Others may need to make small changes.

# from http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...-laptop-screen

#!/bin/bash

# Check whether the external monitor is connected
            xrandr | grep VGA1 | grep " connected "

# 0 is returned on success
            if [ $? -eq 0 ]; then
            xrandr --output VGA1 --on
            xrandr --output VGA1 --mode 1920x1080
            xrandr --output LVDS1 --off
            fi

Comment

Re: Older laptop (SOLVED)

Good job - that will help others too no doubt.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
              X