X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
    sudo grub-install /dev/sda

This installs grub to the drive. GRUB will find and use the BIOS boot partition all by itself. It's possible that the formatting didn't hurt anything and GRUB will just over-write the data so just try to correctly install GRUB first. If you get errors again, it may be related to the EXT4 formatting. I will include a comment about this on my post re. this topic.

This did eventually do the trick and fix the boot issue

Though I did the dreaded reinstall but with the DVD not USB.
    There still was a grub issue with it (grub) posting just the non responsive cursor.
    It was fine I had the Super Grub2 Boot Disk which booted me in, once there I employed the above command with no errors to success. Testing it it with 3 successful logins.

I think with your forum guide for the Konsole setup of the Boot Partition I had done previously had helped.
    Thank you to everyone for your input.

***oshunluver: After the GruB was installed, the Boot partition went from being formatted ext4 to ext2. If you are documenting,***

Comment

Yeah I really gave no thought to what kind being used on install of KDE Neon.
      I assumed that if I'm being told there is no i386.normal by the system then it is in Legacy. No?
      Hard to say. In a UEFI, you would not have any i386 files (labeled as such, anyway). But then maybe you did have a Legacy install that omitted that i386 file, or didn't omit it but misplaced it and GRUB Legacy can't find it.

The fact that this worked: sudo grub-install /dev/sda ...
      Well, that normally is a GRUB Legacy command, not a GRUB-EFI command. BUT ... if you did have UEFI, and you did use the command sudo grub-install /dev/sda, it might work anyway (in UEFI) because GRUB-EFI would ignore the device /dev/sda and go ahead and do the grub install into the existing UEFI ESP.

From my how-to,
      UEFI Simplified, a quicker version
      https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post379977
      we have

How will you know you are booting your OS in UEFI mode?

You probably won't notice it when you boot up. You will probably be greeted with a GRUB boot menu. (If you have just one OS installed, the GRUB menu by default will not appear, and you'll boot directly into your OS. Press the Shift key to see the menu. This is controlled by the editable file /etc/default/grub.)

Check to see if you are in UEFI mode:
      > Many newer computers (>2010) come with UEFI firmware.
      > efibootmgr Issue this key EFI command: sudo efibootmgr [-v]. You should see BootOrder and a list of Boot variables.
      > Your /etc/fstab file should show an EFI System Partition (mount point: /boot/efi, type EF00, vfat).
      > gdisk See the ESP listed (as Type EF00) and confirm you have a GPT by issuing the command: sudo gdisk -l /dev/sda . (You might have to install gdisk using Muon Package Manager, or sudo apt-get install gdisk.)
      > Open /boot/efi (the mount point of the ESP) and see your (U)EFI setup: /EFI/ubuntu and inside that folder, see some boot files: grubx64.efi, grub.cfg, shimx64.efi, etc.
      > Your Kubuntu should use the grub-efi bootloader (not grub-pc). Check /usr/lib/grub -- do you see x86_64.efi[maybe also -signed]?
      > An installed EFI system and a live system both use the directory /sys/firmware/efi (firmware Boot variables are there).
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
        Hard to say. In a UEFI, you would not have any i386 files (labeled as such, anyway). But then maybe you did have a Legacy install that omitted that i386 file, or didn't omit it but misplaced it and GRUB Legacy can't find it.
        The original install did have a Legacy install that omitted that i386 file (no where to be found) from the beginning.
        This install is in Legacy also with all appropriate i386 files.

Comment

Working...
        X