This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Btrfs caution?

I came across btrfs deprecated from becoming a core techonology in RHEL 7 and just thought I'd post here because there are quite a few btrfs users here. No offence intended!
    Kubuntu 20.04

That's an interesting thread. I suspect for any Linux filesystem you can name, there are 3 people out there who will claim they've lost data because it is not stable.

I first installed BTRFS on a pair of WD1000 drives in 2010. One of those original drives started spitting random errors in 2013, so I replaced them both and restored my backed-up data. They have been running reliably 24/7/365 from that time to the present. I doubt seriously that BTRFS is demonstrably less stable that any other filesystem in general use.

Comment

I do not think the *buntus will give up on it any time soon .

from your link https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=14907771

People are making a bigger deal of this than it is. Since I left Red Hat in 2012 there hasn't been another engineer to pick up the work, and it is _a lot_ of work.For RHEL you are stuck on one kernel for an entire release. Every fix has to be backported from upstream, and the further from upstream you get the harder it is to do that work.
      Btrfs has to be rebased _every_ release. If moves too fast and there is so much work being done that you can't just cherry pick individual fixes. This makes it a huge pain in the ass.
      Then you have RHEL's "if we ship it we support it" mantra. Every release you have something that is more Frankenstein-y than it was before, and you run more of a risk of **** going horribly wrong. That's a huge liability for an engineering team that has 0 upstream btrfs contributors.
      The entire local file system group are xfs developers. Nobody has done serious btrfs work at Red Hat since I left (with a slight exception with Zach Brown for a little while.)
      Suse uses it as their default and has a lot of inhouse expertise. We use it in a variety of ways inside Facebook. It's getting faster and more stable, admittedly slower than I'd like, but we are getting there.

This announcement from Red Hat is purely a reflection of Red Hat's engineering expertise and the way they ship kernels, and not an indictment of Btrfs itself.
      VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

SUSE made a statement about RedHat's contribution to Btrfs, and why their switching to ZFS is insignificant.
        https://www.suse.com/communities/blo...bei-die-fische
        (You may have to choose "United States" in the language dropdown combo button in the upper right corner)

[#]BTRFS[/#]
        Last edited by GreyGeek; Sep 22, 2017, 11:49 AM.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
        X