X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Numlock on at login

Good evening
    I’ve just moved to Kubuntu, I have been using Linux Mint for the past 5 years (i think) so I know a bit of Linux and I really like the KDE desktop so far.

I just have one question, hoping that somebody knows, I can’t believe that such a simple thing is so hard to set for me.
    I’ve spent in fact the whole evening trying to figure out how to enable it, but no joy.

My login has numbers, and it’s easier to type them that way.
    In Linux Mint, after installing numlockx and having it set as on, there was a tick to put in MDM and everything was done.
    I miss a similar last passage in SDDM.

I’ve found only this post searching, but I don’t have the mentioned file.
    https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthread.php?t=69910

Can anybody help me out please?
    Thanks a lot!

Further questions:
    Why does it need to be off anyway? Anticipating possible answers, laptops don’t work that way, nowadays you have to press Fn to make it work;
    Why if in BIOS numlock is set as ON, linux switches off?
    Last edited by elstellino; May 31, 2017, 05:58 PM. Reason: there was no greeting!

System Settings>Hardware>Input Devices>Numlock on Plasma Startup.
    If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

Originally posted by SpecialEd View Post
      This setting doesn't affect the login screen (SDDM), it only affects numlock status after login (when Plasma starts).

Originally posted by elstellino View Post
      I’ve found only this post searching, but I don’t have the mentioned file.
      https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthread.php?t=69910
      /etc/sddm.conf is not automatically created on installation anymore, it's created once you change the defaults in SystemSettings SDDM module.
      You can also create the config file manually with:
      Code:
      sddm --example-config | sudo tee /etc/sddm.conf
      (Then you can edit/add the Numlock=on option under [General])

Comment

Originally posted by SpecialEd View Post
        Thanks SpecialEd, I tried this first, but didn’t work: after the BIOS detects the hard drives the numlock LED is on, as soon as linux starts it switches off. At login is off, and turns on again after I logged in.

Originally posted by kubicle View Post
        This setting doesn't affect the login screen (SDDM), it only affects numlock status after login (when Plasma starts).
        Yes, as above

Originally posted by kubicle View Post
        /etc/sddm.conf is not automatically created on installation anymore, it's created once you change the defaults in SystemSettings SDDM module.
        You can also create the config file manually with:
        Code:
        sddm --example-config | sudo tee /etc/sddm.conf
        (Then you can edit/add the Numlock=on option under [General])
        Thanks, I tried first creating it manually, but didn’t have success, so I installed another login screen and there I actually found already Numlock=on.
        I’ll mark this as solved, thanks again to both!

Comment

Can you let us know what/how you installed "another login screen", so others can also see how it is done please ?
          Je suis Charlie, how many more people have to die for religions
          linux user #447706 on https://linuxcounter.net
          A good place to start:
          Topic: Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers

Comment

Originally posted by mbohets View Post
            Can you let us know what/how you installed "another login screen", so others can also see how it is done please ?
            Sure! I actually found quite daunting installing another login screen, mainly because I couldn’t connect with the Get new Theme button until I installed the opendesktop.org app. (?)
            In the end I went for ANY login screen, as what I liked on the website was always impossible to install (too old, incomplete instructions, like if everybody is a linux pro so everything is assumed).
            I found "Breeze Theme with Sliding UI" clicking on "Get a new Theme" and following the instructions under "Details": now I don’t remember them, but it was easy. Right now is the second of the list of the most recent ones.

I tampered a bit before downloading it, in the meaning that I attempted to create my own /etc/sddm.conf first: I don’t know if this made numlock set to on when I installed the other login screen, or if the login screen itself was set already with numlock on. I now have that login screen, but I use the standard one as it is the one I like the most after all, and because I didn’t really need a new theme, just the conf file.

I hope I explained my self clearly Feel free to ask if you need more information, I’m happy to help!

Comment

Working...
            X