This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] HP LaserJet 1020

hplip-3.11.7 no longer worked for me after a recent update (sometime during November 2011) because it seems the upstream website that has the firmware is offline. However I managed to get the printer to work by messing around under the hood and this info may help someone else.

First I completely removed the current hplip setup and downloaded the latest driver into a tmp folder...

Code:
    apt-get --purge remove hplip hplip-cups hplip-data hplip-doc hplip-gui
    mkdir tmp && cd tmp
    wget [url]http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/hplip/hplip/3.11.12/hplip-3.11.12.run[/url]
    chmod +x hplip-3.11.12.run
    hplip-3.11.12.run
    And cancel the last part where it tries to download the firmware. There is no use pointing to the below firmware plugin because the checksum and version do not match. I could not find the matching firmware version (hplip-3.11.12-plugin.run) anywhere but Google found a hplip-3.11.10-plugin.run somewhere in Russia...

Code:
    wget [url]ftp://ftp.calculate.ru/pub/calculate/hplip-plugin/hplip-3.11.10-plugin.run[/url]
    chmod +x hplip-3.11.10-plugin.run
    hplip-3.11.10-plugin.run --keep
    cd plugin_tmp
    sudo cp 86-hpmud-hp_laserjet_1020.rules /etc/udev/rules.d/
    sudo mkdir /usr/share/hplip/data/firmware
    sudo cp hp_laserjet_1020.fw.gz /usr/share/hplip/data/firmware
    I then turned on my 1020 printer and went to http://localhost:631/admin and added the printer, turned it off and back on and the firmware looaded (orange light comes on and then it resets itself) and I am now printing... after 12 hours of pulling out my hair, which is thin enough as it is.

Obviously this is a non standard procedure and don't expect any help from official sources but if you are desperate enough, like I was, then this procedure may help.

Re: [SOLVED] HP LaserJet 1020

Good post! Too often people keep these sorts of solutions to themselves, so thank you.

Oh...and keep your hair in!

Please Read Me

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] HP LaserJet 1020

I have one of these printers and it has caused me hours of frustration trying to get it to work. Thank you for your current solution.

Comment

Working...
      X