This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Icons versus Folders on Panel

I know this is only a questions of esthetics but I also know the people in this forum are very flamboyant about showing how much they know.

The 3 panels below are my current settings. As you can see, I have customized my launcher button, I have a dolphin open to one of my HDDs, but there are 3 icons on the far right in question. The brown folder is an icon link that open the folder up in dolphin. The icon for the folder itself has been customized. To the left of that is a FOLDER and I want to use the folder display options here also the custom icon here. Instead it displays one level up the Drive C icon. Drive C/Movies has a custom icon but it is showing the wrong icon.

This machine is using KDE 4.13.3 and running the 14.04 LTS but I am sure that is not an issue. I believe, I just need to find out why KDE is pointing at the wrong icon and correct it with a setting. I am off to jump in the shower and get my morning coffee. Nothing else to do today, I will check back in and see what the brilliant people have to say.

Click image for larger version

Name:	icons1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	649167

AFAIK, Folder icons are defined in the .directory file in the folder. If no specified icon is listed, it uses the default. Here, the top folder shows a custom icon and the bottom one does not:
    Code:
    [Desktop Entry]
    Icon=folder-symbolic

[Dolphin]
    Timestamp=2017,2,12,7,59,0
    Version=3

[Settings]
    HiddenFilesShown=true
    Code:
    [Dolphin]
    Timestamp=2017,2,12,7,59,32
    Version=3

[Settings]
    HiddenFilesShown=true
    However, I don't know if I've answered your query.

Please Read Me

Comment

I have been searching and cannot find where the setting for the panels are located. I am told Plasma-Desktop is the program providing the panels. When I search on "KDE Panel settings" I seem to get a lot of Plasma wiki articles but nothing so far about the custom icons within the panel or where the settings are located.

EDIT:
      I found the general settings but not much help in there. ~/.kde/share/config/plasma-desktop-appletsrc

I managed to figure out that removal of this file causes your desktop settings to revert to default. It contains your panels, wallpaper, etc.. I guess I am done trying to sabotage my system for the day. I am off to play a pointless game. Big thanks for giving it a try, to my phonetic friend oshunluvr up there!
      Last edited by Simon; Feb 12, 2017, 11:04 AM.

Comment

Last week I asked about panel settings and how to set the folder icons with something "unique". I have it worked out but I still do not understand why this works...

The folder containing "Games" was located in /home/simon/Games The icon for the folder took on the appearance of my generic home folder icon. Today I copied the Games folder down into my Documents folder (/home/simon/Documents/Games) when I added this folder to the panel it showed up as the games icon and not the home.

Click image for larger version

Name:	icons1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	643452

I bet someone here can tell me why this worked.

Comment

Working...
        X